Emerald Editor Discussion
April 23, 2017, 04:46:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Compiling with VS C++ Express edition 2005  (Read 35335 times)
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 09:23:18 am »

ig you look in my top post you should see there is a rar file called atlmfc.rar, download that, it includes the libraries you need to link against

although i cant see why you need that lib..

change the build type from debug to release and see if that changes anything
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 09:25:10 am by Pvt_Ryan » Logged
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 09:25:35 pm »

I downloaded that and included them but it complained about mfc42 which isn't included. your attachment has mfc80. How do I change the build type?

edit: Nevermind I found it. It fixed the problem.
Also, how do I change WINVER? It defaults to Windows Server 2003, but if I'm building for a different platform, won't it not work on that computer?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 09:34:44 pm by rageboy » Logged
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 10:12:45 pm »

you can ignore the WINVER warnings..

ill try and and sort the debug mode issues..

at least with the release version you can do some QA on the latest builds.. Tongue
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 10:29:20 pm »

I don't think my computer likes me. I'm pretty sure I changed nothing and the debug mode started building just fine. Now, however, my error occurs on starting the program (only with Debug): "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." (Install?). I have a feeling this may be because the use of MFC property is set to use a shared DLL. Unfortunately I have no idea how to correct this. I tried running it in the lib folder you listed for download, but it changed nothing.
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 11:13:02 pm »

yea i get that for the debug build (on vs 2k5 express) i dont know why that is.. but as long as the release version compiles ok you'r fine.
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 10:52:02 pm »

I downloaded that and included them but it complained about mfc42 which isn't included. your attachment has mfc80. How do I change the build type?

edit: Nevermind I found it. It fixed the problem.
Also, how do I change WINVER? It defaults to Windows Server 2003, but if I'm building for a different platform, won't it not work on that computer?

To prevent the error.

Project -> Properties -> configuration properties -> c/c++ -> preprocessor

edit preprocessor definations

add the following to the end
WINVER=0x0502

You will need to do this for both debug & release
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 06:46:04 am »

I checked the EULA when I installed VS Pro recently and distributing the files that were attached to this original post in this topic is prohibited in section 3.b.i. If I understood it correctly, the MFC library can only be distributed in binary form.
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 03:36:25 pm »

Yeah.. that stinks. I want to work on my favorite text editor and need to spend money on compiler...
PN

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 09:19:32 pm »

It is a pain, but I understand why MS did it. If they make everything available for Express, fewer people would buy the better editions. The standard edition would work for CE. You can buy it for $225 at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Visual-Studio-2008-Standard/dp/B000WM1Z46/). I know it's expensive, but that's the only way I am aware of to legitimately compile CE for now. If anyone knows of a free MFC clone or something, let us know.

Edit: There's cheaper prices too at Amazon if you look in the new and used sales by other people. Right now the cheapest is $125 with $4 shipping.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:25:45 pm by Phil » Logged
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 06:29:01 pm »

Dont buy VS std.

MS are going to do away with it. Instead there will be VS Express and VS pro. I think this is happening with the 2010 release.

P.S. Phil I figured as much, I just choose not to read the EULA to confirm it so that some people could help out. The alternative is that you start recoding the parts that are dependant on those libraries but that is likely to be a ground up rewrite.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:30:47 pm by Pvt_Ryan » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: