Emerald Editor Discussion
June 27, 2017, 02:59:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EE.com CMS  (Read 10861 times)
Wahooney
Miner

« on: April 04, 2007, 08:51:40 am »

Have you guys considered using a CMS for the EE & CE websites? It will save a hell of alot of dev time for the site and most have many features.

I'm a huge advocate of e107 myself (news, downloads, integrated forums, custom content), but there are many more out there worth a look, ie. Drupal, Joomla, etc.

Any thoughts?
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 10:28:13 am »

hmm tbh i dont really think we need a cms, but if there was to be one i would suggest joomla.. as it has a bridge for smf that works well (i use it).

There isnt enough content on the site that needs managed and the links along the top are enough (and since i have bookmarked the forum directly i never see the front page anymore).. though it is nice to go to the home page a see all the new posts at a glance.
Wahooney
Miner

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 10:32:25 am »

I have this feeling that this site is going to become very busy, I'm just thinking ahead Wink
Szandor
Senior Miner

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 12:55:01 pm »

I'd say this is something that's up to the guys actually editing the site. If a lot of writers are to be involved a CMS is a great idéa, but I suspect that the plugin archive will be automatically managed somehow anyway and that the other pages are more or less static, except for the download page and newspage and... Well, forget about the static pages then.

Miranda IM has actually solved this by using WordPress in conjunction with a separate system for the plugins and a separate for the forum. This works great for them and I believe a similar system would work great for us too.

"Cleverly disguised as an original signature..."
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 08:14:28 pm »

I did kind of wonder how long it would be before this subject came up.

Before we start digging into whether we need a CMS, let me explain how things are managed right now.

The bug tracker, the download manager, the forum and the SVN browser are all off-the-shelf components. I've gone back and branded them, and I have tried to patch all bar the SVN browser to accept the same login details from the forum (trouble with that is I need to migrate existing data, which is far easier said than done)

For the remaining pages, Home, About, FAQ and Team, these are all actually stored as forum posts. It's most obvious with the Home page, since the forum thread in question is publicly viewable (Front Page News). The others are stored in a hidden forum that only users with specific privileges can access.

The CE support site will be managed in the same way (indeed, the CE history page is already maintained in exactly that way).

In the same vein, there is also a small repository for file sharing related to CE/EE that the devs have access to for sharing pre-release builds and other information that isn't right for SVN.

If we get busy enough that we need a true CMS, then I'll go out to the market, so to speak, and investigate it then. I suspect if we did need one, Joomla would be high up on the list of choices, simply due to the SMF integration, but it's not my only criteria.

I can't see us needing even a wiki to be honest, let alone a standalone CMS when we already have a simpler form of something similar already implemented.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 09:51:09 pm »

If you were doing it all again I might have suggested TinyPortal, since you can manage the various side pages as Articles and such, but I think your current setup is probably fine.  At the moment there aren't any joomla components that would link to SVN so you're still stuck trying to manhandle logins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: