Emerald Editor Discussion
September 19, 2017, 06:14:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spell Checker: still just the "red squigglies" or is there more to it now?  (Read 3673 times)
SilversleevesX
Miner

« on: October 04, 2010, 06:45:42 am »

I turn it on and that's all I get. The docs and help (dated from before whenever the Crimson/Emerald cutoff was) have nothing more noted on them than the Features list on the download page -- an 'it's a feature, you use it; how is your problem,' kind of thing.

I realize it's freeware/openSourceForge, but the lack of instructions on many features is nearly mind-boggling. Have we come to the stage in development where one has to get paid to write a good manual or help doc? I appreciate those features -- very much appreciate, to the point where I want to encourage other text-editor maintainers to adopt them the same way they work in CE/EE -- but it seems as though every time I want to "broaden my base" with regard to the other features and functions the app has, I suddenly hear crickets chirping (no instructions, just dead air).

It puts me in mind of an FRP my brother and I wrote when we were both in our teens that we knew perfectly well how to play and get around in, but no one new to the concept of role-playing games (and even many in our set who had been gamers themselves for years) had a clue. It's funny how it's taken 25 years for that sort of thing to find a new home, if indeed it has, in freeware/opensource software development. But you must all yet be taking your inspiration from Apple Computer Inc., who threw the "baby" of manual printing out with the "bathwater" of coloring all their desktop computer cases dull beige. Google that and you'll see I'm not far wrong.

BZT
SilversleevesX
Miner

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 07:26:48 am »

Okay, I've put away the soapbox and shoved all the Mac magazines and hard-copies from the rumor sites under the carpet.  Wink

Now for some serious gripes.

How about adding a right-click option that allows one to add an unknown word, non-word, command or term to user.dic from "inside" a document being viewed. I don't know if I'm just a holdout for a happy ending, but I consider that the courteous thing when one has a "spell-checker feature" in any kind of text-editing or word-processing application.

Wonder why MS WordPad doesn't, and Apple's SimpleText didn't, have a spell-check button in their toolbars? I would venture to guess that neither company saw fit to enable their apps to add to static user files and have those apps load same when spell-checking was enabled in any other doc. To the cardshark boys in Redmond doing so probably smacked too too much of "Word Junior" and to the Rockefellers in Nehru jackets down in Palo Alto, it just as likely looked like a threat to their profits from AppleWorks.

Simply put, if the user has to employ the same application they found the spell-checker in to edit and extend its vocabulary, instead of doing so by way of a context menu or some other more-convenient means, then maybe said spell-checker doesn't belong in said editor.

Just something more to chew on. Smiley

BZT
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: