Emerald Editor Discussion
September 23, 2017, 05:13:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to type using Polish characters  (Read 7314 times)
jaca
Prospector

« on: September 21, 2010, 10:45:33 pm »

Hi, a newbie here,

I started using Crimson Editor SVN286 English, I believe it is v3.70 and I am loving it!

I have set up a website without any trouble - actually it was a pleasure. But it was an English language site.

Now I want to set up a website in Polish and troubles have begun: I cannot type special Polish characters as 'ą, ę, ź, ś' (I am not sure whether you see them correctly, but those are letters used only in Polish).

My friend who also uses Crimson does not have such problems - he can type Polish characters. The difference is he has Polish Windows (don't remember which) and I run on Windows 7 English version. I have Polish fonts installed (Polish Programmers and Polski ISO), I can use them in Office Word, browsers' search, Windows Notepad, but not in Crimson, nor in other editors (I've tried Notepad++, HTML-Kit and even purely Polish software - Ager Web Editor - with no luck). I can see something I call 'little worms', but not the proper Polish characters. (Notepad++ is the best as it can type some of them, unfortunately not all).

You can see my website under construction at www.homeopatiaklasyczna.com. You won't see 'little worms' as for the time being I have used Windows Notepad, what is a bit of a nightmare.

If anyone knows how to solve my problems, I will appreciate sharing it with me, please.

Thanks in advance.
Jack

jszpilewski
Prospector

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 06:26:04 pm »

Hey,

Currently Crimson Editor uses the rather old fashioned style of character representation called ASCII that is very sensitive to character set being set as the default in a given localized version of Windows. It is not directly addressed  by CE hence it uses whatever code page is set as active in the system. In the Polish Windows it will be one containing Polish characters and in the American/English version one known as ANSI or code page 1252 with characters specific for the Western European languages. I think updating CE to more general character handling called Unicode would help with this problem but it may require some time as it is a major code update. Nevertheless I think it could be possible to add an option to CE to switch used code page and it should be fine to get required code set. I will look at this a bit closer...   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: