Emerald Editor Discussion
September 19, 2017, 11:31:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UTF-8 with and without BOM  (Read 9563 times)
Raf
Miner

« on: March 24, 2007, 01:16:55 am »

For web developers in particular, I think one of Crimson Editor's biggest flaws is its lack of proper UTF-8 support, even though it's in the Encoding Type options under the Document menu. It seems to work when it's dealing only with ASCII characters (or, specifically, characters in ISO-8859-1) but as soon as you start using non-ASCII characters (like Greek or Hebrew characters) it falls apart.

This is an absolute must I believe and it is essential that it provides the possibility of saving with and without the BOM. Anything saved as UTF-8 without specifying a BOM preference should be saved WITHOUT the BOM. The BOM causes nothing but trouble, really.

Anyway, this is one of the two reasons why I think Crimson Editor falls short of perfection. The other is the fact that even though it claims to support searching using regular expressions, I have never managed to get this to work with any type of regex I've tried (anyone care to enlighten me here?).

I'm delighted to find that other people share my love for this software and that finally it can be updated now that the source code has been released. I'm afraid I know no C or C++, but if there's anywhere other than editing source code that I can be of help, I'd be happy to.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 01:19:34 am by Raf » Logged
whatever
Miner

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 11:39:20 pm »

I support the idea wholeheartedly. It's a must for web developers.
trodas
Prospector

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 01:53:28 pm »

Proper UTF8 support should be definitively a priority. In fact, I use CF - now EF - only because it works reasonably well for UTF8 and Czech characters.  Wink

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
...just keep folding, just keep folding... Smiley my config
skj310
Prospector

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 06:23:07 pm »

I know that i end up using UltraEdit or Notepad++ simply because there are times when i need to see Japanese or Korean characters.  So a better encoding section would be very helpful.
bootmii
Prospector

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:51:58 am »

I know that i end up using UltraEdit or Notepad++ simply because there are times when i need to see Japanese or Korean characters.  So a better encoding section would be very helpful.
Yeah, me too!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: