Emerald Editor Discussion
August 16, 2017, 04:09:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shininess!!!!  (Read 5709 times)
aceizace
Prospector

« on: March 06, 2007, 06:36:32 pm »

Hello people, this is my first post, and let me say that I think EE is a great idea. I've used a few text editors in the past, and only came across crimson editor yesterday, when I realised that our Uni computers have it installed as an alternative to Eclipse (which I find too controlling, I know it's an IDE not a text editor, but still).

Anyway, this is a extremely low priority suggestion, but I would like to see a very shiny user interface. Something akin to Vista or OS X. It's something that just never seems to be in these open source programs, for example, OpenOffice, VLC, Crimson Editor, etc. The GUI is never bad and it's functional which is more important, but I think it's important to have something that's just aesthetically pleasing as well, especially for those killer 10+ hour programming sessions. I understand that a project like this doesn't necessarily have anyone to design this sort of thing, but it's worth a suggestion right?

Thanks
~Andrew
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 07:30:54 pm »

Welcome to Crimson / Emerald Editor! (I say both as we kind of look after both)

I do agree to a certain extent; let's make it pretty as well as usable. That said, a nice shiny happy interface would probably look out of place on my machine (bad me for still having Win98)

There was talk of a base set being included with themeable icons being added later. We didn't really come to a decision on it as it was fairly low priority, but it does open the debate up again.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Szandor
Senior Miner

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 11:24:40 am »

I believe that the correct way to go is to have the program rely on the OS to provide the GUI skin, have simple and neutral icons and let any other form of skinning be handled by a plugin. A simple plugin for choosing icons could even be provided by default.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 11:27:11 am by Szandor » Logged

"Cleverly disguised as an original signature..."
Raf
Miner

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 01:26:36 am »

I fully agree with Szandor. People mostly expect a program to blend in with the OS. This is excusable for things like Winamp, where a large space for doing stuff in is not needed (like a web browser or a text editor).

I think the program size should be kept as small as possible. I think being able to open a text file almost instantaneously (like with Notepad) is pretty important. Any program that takes over a couple of seconds in my opinion makes it into the realm of programs that I think twice about opening.

Shininess is only going to slow it down, so I think that's a bad idea. However, making it pretty within the confines of the OS's GUI is fine in my opinion, especially with regard to making more modern-looking icons.
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 02:35:29 pm »

Fully agree with Raf. CE actually verges on too slow Undecided But still the best text editor I've come across so I use it exclusively Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: