Emerald Editor Discussion
May 26, 2017, 12:54:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Project Management  (Read 3423 times)
KjeBja
Senior Miner

« on: February 02, 2007, 07:51:46 am »

I guess I should have posted this a while back, but I just haven’t gotten around to it, until now. There have been a few posts on this subject in Roadmap to 1.0, so maybe that's where I should have put this, but this feature is important to me, so here goes.

In CE, I use Project Management all the time, and it really is of big help. At the moment, I work as a developer on a large project, with lots and lots of source files of different types, and they are found in a number of directories. The path to the files does not normally change, so the current version in CE does it for me – at least at the moment. However, the enhancements dsvick suggested in Roadmap to 1.0 (things like adding properties to the project such as a default directory that gets synched when you open the project; toolbars that are in view when the project is opened; maybe a default syntax type for all unrecognized file types...), would make it all the much better. What would also be cool, was if one could add properties to members in a project; for instance a short description of a member.

As you may have noticed, in CE, the information about the projects are kept in xml files, and I really can't see any reason why this shouldn't be so in EE as well. I have found that it is quite easy to modify the path to the files manually (using CE, of course Grin) if they are moved to a different location; this is one advantage using xml files gives you.

In the project files, CE stores all available information about the files in the project, including workspace information; i.e. information about the files that were open when the project was last closed, and the position of the cursor in those files. Expanding on the solution in CE, one could add information about current bookmarks in the files. This would solve the problem that's been discussed in my post 'Save bookmarks' (I notice that Feldon has had the same idea).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: