Emerald Editor Discussion
March 29, 2017, 12:29:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple instances of EE  (Read 6930 times)
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« on: January 31, 2007, 02:36:21 pm »

I am putting this in Key features as i believe if it is to be implemented it needs to be done early on.

I would like to have the ability to have 2 instances of EE open, as i quite often use multiple monitors an i would find it very useful to be able to compare code in 2 seperate windows and unfortunatly tabs just doesnt cut it on these occasions.

I think this should be quite easy to implement. but i do think the total number of instances should be limited as tabs are suffice in all but a few instances..

let me know what you think.
CE2001
Miner

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 04:18:17 pm »

I'd just love to be able to see one instance of EE running on my computer by the end of the month!!!  Wink

Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

BB Online UK Ltd
Szandor
Senior Miner

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 07:27:21 pm »

I would like to have the ability to have 2 instances of EE open, as i quite often use multiple monitors an i would find it very useful to be able to compare code in 2 seperate windows and unfortunatly tabs just doesnt cut it on these occasions.
Simply tiling the windows would work perfectly to compare code within one instance of EE, but you might have a point with the two monitors. I haven't worked in a dual monitor environment so I wouldn't know about that. For me, two instances equals bad but it sounds like a reasonable option to have.

"Cleverly disguised as an original signature..."
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 11:34:35 pm »

I like multiple instances as well.  Ideally, my default would be to open a file in the open instance, but I'd like to be able to manually start up a second instance.
KjeBja
Senior Miner

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 07:59:32 am »

I never thought this would be an issue at all. The possibility to have multiple instances is one of the features in CE that I find really useful, and I often find myself using more than two instances. Can be a wee bit confusing at times, I admit, but nevertheless I keep on opening several CE instances. So please don't put a limit on the number of instances!  Roll Eyes

Oh, one thing: Make sure that the files that were open when the editor was shut down (i.e.: all instances closed) are opened only in the first instance, just the way CE does it.
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 10:35:32 am »

I never thought this would be an issue at all. The possibility to have multiple instances is one of the features in CE that I find really useful, and I often find myself using more than two instances. Can be a wee bit confusing at times, I admit, but nevertheless I keep on opening several CE instances. So please don't put a limit on the number of instances!  Roll Eyes

Oh, one thing: Make sure that the files that were open when the editor was shut down (i.e.: all instances closed) are opened only in the first instance, just the way CE does it.

How do you do it in CE?Huh
Running the exe a 2nd time doesnt do it...
KjeBja
Senior Miner

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 11:02:27 am »

How do you do it in CE?

Tools --> Preferences

In the General category, choose 'Allow multiple instances' (found in the bottom box on the right side).

Best of luck!
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 11:23:17 am »

Thanks.. your a star!!!!
shamm
Prospector

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 01:29:37 pm »

Also very useful if you are editing in two project spaces at the same time.

I would expect EE to duplicate this CE functionality

Steve Hammond

The universe tends towards chaos, as does my life!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: