Emerald Editor Discussion
September 22, 2017, 12:06:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creating Syntaxes & syntax decision  (Read 5012 times)
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« on: January 22, 2007, 04:30:03 pm »

Just a thought but CE's syntax was almost idiot proof to create.

I see alot of talk about the use of XML for the syntax and i saw a possible draft in the SVN repository.

Now if we decide to go down the route of XML then i feel we should provide a Syntax Creator plugin for EE because alot of people wont want to edit XML files directly especially if they dont really understand XML.

and by plugin i dont mean nything very complicated just a "form" / "dialog" with a next button that asks the user to input the associations, keywords, etc (maybe each on a new line to simplify things) and then a finish button which generates the file in the syntax dir.

The edit verison of the plugin could then just read the file and list it in the same "form" / "dialog" and the user just adds / removes the lines as required and then saves it overwriting the old or as a new file.

I also note (unless i am mistaken) that no decision has been made as to the syntax file format / type to be used..

Can we get a poll going (of all suggested formats) and get a final decision by vote of the format to use.
Szandor
Senior Miner

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 07:08:19 am »

We should first decide how powerful we want the syntax files. If it's power we want, XML just won't hack it. It would be way to complicated to create something as powerful as the things we have discussed. Also, a poll is a bad way of deciding important things like this. It should be reched through a series of discussions about what we really want and where we want to go.

For more information about what is being discussed at the moment, please read this thread. It contains the early stages of the specs I propose we use and it also has some talk about what we want to do with a syntax definition.

"Cleverly disguised as an original signature..."
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 05:52:51 pm »

I agree on the plugin idea
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: