Emerald Editor Discussion
July 25, 2017, 01:43:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did you first hear about Crimson Editor?  (Read 12129 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: April 27, 2006, 11:52:22 pm »

I'm just curious... where did you first come across Crimson Editor?

I first found it in about 2003, from a link on an open source project I was working with at the time... (can't remember which, sorry)

They were using CE to edit their code, and out of curiosity, I downloaded it to have a look. I was after a fast editor at the time that didn't eat its way through RAM... and CE fitted nicely.

What about everyone else?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 01:03:36 am »

From a co-worker about 2 years ago. I'd been using all sorts of different editors and could never find one I quite liked. CE did more of wanted out of an editor than any other one I'd found though.

I did a break for about 6 months and went with JEdit for a while, it was pretty nice but a bit slow sometimes.

Dave
chali
Prospector

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 01:51:01 pm »

From a co-worker on October 2002, didn't find anything similar since then Sad
And tried a loooot
alpha
Developers
Senior Miner

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 05:41:55 pm »

I did search for a good text editor to replace ms notepad. I don't remember when, but I think 2002...
I also want to share my right mouse click for CE with all of you. Just copy the text between the ___ in ce.reg don't forget to change the path to your CE directory! Save the file and double click on it, import it in the registry. This should work with all windows versions that have a registry, but I only did test it on W2k, Win XP Pro and Home.

Markus Schulz

PS: after you import this into your registry you can do a right mouse click on any file and you have CE as a selection to open the file.

ce.reg___
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\CrimsonEditor]
@="Crimson Editor"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\CrimsonEditor\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Crimson Editor\\cedt.exe \"%1\""
__end
BlackTea
Miner

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 07:08:41 pm »

i first tried crimson editor back before the turn of the century (1998 or so).  i found it via download.com.  i've used it as my primary editor ever since- and thru it all, i've switched jobs 4 times- and carried crimson editor with me- for use on Windows and Unix.  
those are the big pluses- it's small, and highly portable- plus it supports unix file formats.
ernst
Prospector

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 09:10:40 am »

I first came across CE in 2002 when I was searching for a free alternative for Ultraedit. Since then I'm hooked on the product. Could not find another that fitted....
I'm very enthousiastic about the project. Was just today about to change to PSpad because I needed some things like filecomparison close at hand. Will follow the new build closely. Good Luck, great initiative!!
ce2000
Miner

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 04:17:26 pm »

I was editing HTML with Windows Notepad and tried a few free alternatives such as Jedit and at work someone showed me UltraEdit, but I didnt want to pay money so I searched around and found CE sometime in 2000.

I had a few people at my new job recently showed me Context, but Context is damn buggy, if you tell it to open 5 files at once it might open 1 or 3, that and if you uninstall it, it screws up your Windows Notepad, and it works so different than what im used to. Ive recently installed Notepad++ to try it out, but I continue to use CE more cuz I just like how it does things, although Notepad++ would be the editor I'd use if CE stopped working for some reason.

djschoch
Prospector

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 09:27:15 pm »

I started using CE mid-2002, and have loved it ever since.  I was looking for a free text editor, tried several, and settled on CE.  I write mostly SQL scripts, PL/SQL, and a little Pro*C for Oracle.  But I use CE whenever I edit anything plain-text.

My favorite features:
- The ability to shell-out (I use this to jump out to SQL*Plus to run my scripts)
- Projects (a terrific way to group things, no matter where they are located, including the server)
- Ability to FTP files (get/save) from my DB server
- Column editing (when I first saw this, I thought it was an OK idea, but now I find it totally indispensable)
- Color coding, depending on language syntax (how can we live without it?)
- Multiple FTP accounts

Thanks to all for creating Emerald Editor and keeping CE "alive".  I will probably use CE ver 3.70 for a long time to come!

-Dan-
JoBe
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 05:21:52 am »

Back in 2001 I needed an editor to program some AutoLisp Macros for AutoCad, and Crimson Editor was one of the first I found. It was free and had a reversible colour sheme. The interesting thing is, that it stood up to all other editors I tried afterwards. The all seem either bloated or underequipped. CrimsonEditor is "just right".  The built in calculator is fantastic, no pop ups, no gui, no clicking, just type and see.

So I sticked to it, it simply is the best "program of the world", like the software version of the swiss army knife.
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 09:36:19 pm »

Wow... I don't even remember.  I guess I've been using it since before 2000.  It is sad to see it dying, but may there will be a very happy ending if we end up with a comparable open source editor.

I know a little C/C++ and would be willing to learn more if my contribution would be helpful.
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 09:02:21 pm »

I came across crimson way back in 2001. I was working in an academic environement where they used PFE (Programmer's File Editor) http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/steveb/cpaap/pfe/ this freeware project died and I started looking for a lightweight free alternative. Crimson was a superior editor and at the time was being actively developed. It was a sadness that development ceased, but great that the mantle appears to have been carried on with EE. Lets hope something material emerges. I am at the mercy of better programmers than myself as I only really have vb and scripting skills.
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 10:01:03 pm »

I think I've had it since about 2001 as well.  I had been doing some html editing and was just starting to do some PHP editing and quickly realized I needed an editor with line numbers.  I started searching for freeware editors that foot the bill and Crimson Editor was far and away the best.  The line numbers and syntax files/highlighting made thinks significantly easier.
mytreo
Miner

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 06:32:27 pm »

Quote from: alpha
I did search for a good text editor to replace ms notepad. I don't remember when, but I think 2002...
I also want to share my right mouse click for CE with all of you.
Thanks alpha, that is sweet! Maybe it deserves a thread of it's own so others can see it?

Back on topic - I can't remember how I found CE - probably after getting hopelessly pissed off with dreamweaver, notepad++ and all the other dross out there.

Chris
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 06:36:10 pm »

I think I started using it around 2000 or so...
I was doing some web design, and needed a very lightweight editor.
Notepad just didnt cut it.

The functions that I use dayin and dayout are the find/replace function (with my current admin job)

I cant say more how I require a good small powerful text editor.
Sad to see it go, but another is born in its place!

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
Alexander
Prospector

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 04:35:41 pm »

In 2001, while looking for replacement for Jext (Java based editor). Found Crimson on the web,  gave it a shot and whoa... was it FAST? It was, esp. after a Java based editor.

Working for a small company now that customises and deploys Microsoft solutions. So, the main editor for our team is naturally the Visual Studio. Despite that, I still sneak out into editing with the CE for most of the files, before going back to VS only to Compile/Build project. I know I could have configured the .NET compilers command line in the CE's custom user tools, but did not know how to build projects the way VS did for ASP.NET so that it all worked in IIS afterwards Smiley.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: