Emerald Editor Discussion
March 29, 2017, 12:34:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Centralised repository  (Read 8812 times)
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« on: January 16, 2007, 12:22:54 pm »

I think that no matter what standard we end up using for the syntax files that we should have a repository (like SVN) of all the syntax files.

so that we dont end up with hundreds of varients of the same files and also by have a repository EE could connect and update its syntax files automatically.

I was going to place this in the EE Features but i think that the auto update feature while useful is not critical, whereas the repository itself i think is a critical feature.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 01:33:14 pm »

That was always my plan on the subject, as I touched on briefly here.

How does http://syntax.emeraldeditor.com/ sound? Smiley (Note, this link does not work, the subdomain has not been set up!)

In answer to your point about SVN: yes, we could store the syntaxes in SVN, I feel that if we grow to storing thousands of syntaxes, developers aren't going to want to checkout the entire branch to cope.

I have to admit, though, I didn't originally plan on having an SVN backend for that actually, but I hadn't figured out exactly how I was going to set it up. SVN just doesn't seem quite right to me, although technically it is more than capable of handling it.

The only thing is, I'd much prefer a web-based uploader which pre-parses the syntax file(s) and verifies that their own internal syntax is correct. Perhaps we could have an "incoming" section which is checked by the maintainers (and I would be happy to look after syntax files, as I know I'd be writing quite a few), and where applicable merged into existing files, or replacing them, so that those available through the syntax repository would always be the latest and most definitive. This is especially important in cases such as PHP where new functions are added through libraries on a quite regular basis (at least, that's my perception of it)

Anyone else have any ideas?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 03:19:54 pm »

As you say checking out the whole lot wouldnt be appropiate.

you could have a structure with multiple dirs.

eg.
          Syntax
             |
         -------
         |       |
       C++   PHP4

etc
so all the c++ files are in one dir which could be checked out ( i would assume that there would only be 1 or 2 files allowed in each of these folders)

and all the submssions should be done as patches so moderators could review them before applying them to the repository
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 04:12:23 pm »

Well, it would have to be done like that, but thinking on a larger scale:

Code:
Markup languages
  HTML
  XHTML
Programming (compiled)
  C
  C++
  D
Programming (scripted)
  Perl
  PHP

You'd only have 1-2 files per language, but this could very quickly make even the folders large; you could of course:

Code:
Programming languages (compiled)
  Blitz Basic
  C-like
    C
    C++
    D
  Java
  Pure Basic

It also depends on whether you have it as one master version for a language, featuring all the syntax of that language, or whether you keep some separate versions of it. For example, I can see the benefits of keeping both PHP4 and PHP5 syntaxes, since there are hundreds of functions in PHP5 that aren't available in PHP4 (and those that are may have differences in syntax).

At the very least, production versions should be available without going directly to SVN. Similarly, the same system could also provide an XML output of available syntaxes solely for EE's benefit. From a programming point of view, it's only really a minor change.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 04:42:13 pm »

tbh i would keep each (major) revision of a language seperate because as stated look at the differences between php4 and php5.

and top level folders would be good but we should be carefull not to over use them. or we could end up going deep.. better to keep as simple as possible.
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 10:16:59 pm »

Here's a description of the problem:

Syntax files will need to branch for different versions of programming languages (v4.0.0, v4.1.0, v5.0.1, etc), and individual branches will need to be updated over time to fix mistakes (woops, I spelled it <htxl> instead of <html>).

Sounds exactly like the type of problem SVN repositories were designed to handle, does it not?

All you need after that is some sort of front-end to help end-users figure out what version they need, without having to understand SVN or install an SVN browser.  It should probably be built-in to EE, with the addition of an option to input your own syntax file (in case EE.com dies and users want to continue creating their own syntax files).
Szandor
Senior Miner

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 04:44:39 pm »

in case EE.com dies and users want to continue creating their own syntax files
Or simply in recognition of those few unfortunates out there in the void, bereft of the infinite pleasures of the Internet.

"Cleverly disguised as an original signature..."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: