Emerald Editor Discussion
May 24, 2017, 05:05:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What should we call it?  (Read 9358 times)
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: January 06, 2007, 07:08:48 am »

I'm not sure that we should call our version of Crimson Editor "Crimson Editor 3.70".  What should we call it and how should the about window be changed?

Some ideas I had were "Crimson Editor 3.70 Emerald Edition #ver#" or, if something smaller would be preferred, "Crimson Editor 3.70e#ver#" (where #ver# is the version number for our Crimson Editor sources).

Any thoughts?
Phil
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 04:04:19 pm »

Personally, unless really dramatic code amendments have been made, it's still Crimson Editor under the hood. It hasn't become something else pretending to be CE.

The development version could be 3.7a until the next tested/release-ready version was issued, then it would become CE 3.80.

This also raises release issues: will 3.8/3.7a/whatever be released in the same format as 3.7? (As in, NSIS installer)

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 12:08:36 am »

A NSIS installer would probably be the easiest way to do it. I think we can probably distribute the files that came with CE due to the liberal licensing. Someone will have to develop it though because it did not come with the open source distribution.

Phil
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 03:57:36 pm »

I think I'd just go ahead and call the first open source community release "Crimson Editor 4.0".  (beginning as 4.0a, of course)
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 07:18:55 pm »

My vote would be for 3.7/3.8. As Arantor says there aren't any major rewrites that would justify an increase in major version number (to 4.0).

John

John

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on"
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 10:41:24 pm »

The other option is to rename the product "Crimson Editor OS".  Hence it would become version 1.0 (or 0.1) of CE OS.

I'm not sure if I like this as a new name might imply lots of new features to come, which there may not be.  On the other hand, its a fairly small change in the name, and might be appropriate given the large shift in its ownership/development process.
John Yeung
Senior Miner

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 01:02:10 am »

I would also pick some small numbering change, like 3.8.  Or even less, depending on what has actually been done.  Maybe 3.71.

(The other) John
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 03:19:02 pm »

I guess I was thinking that the release of CE as open source and some major annoyance fixes would be big enough news to justify the 4.0, but 3.8 sounds fine, too.  I suppose most people who are still big Crimson users know that the latest is 3.70 and will recognize that anything beyond that is an upgrade.

KjeBja
Senior Miner

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 06:38:11 am »

If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Kang was going to call the next release of CE 3.71; I think we should go for that.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 11:00:06 pm »

The source code Mr Kang provided would appear to be 3.71-provisional anyway, but I know already some changes are being made which could suggest it becoming 3.8. It depends on how severe the changes are before the new release.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: