Emerald Editor Discussion
September 25, 2017, 04:19:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Away from computers  (Read 4226 times)
Derek Parnell
Lead Architect
Miner

« on: January 05, 2007, 01:07:41 pm »

The archtecture specification will have to be delayed I'm sorry. I'll be away from computers for the next two weeks so I'll be drawing up the spec on paper and typing it up when I get back from vacation.

In broad terms, I'd like to see clear separatation between the areas of functionality - A UI subsystem, an application subsystem, a data storage subsystem, a plugin management subsystem, etc... Each subsystem can only access the functionality of the other subsystems via an API -  that is, you cannot get direct access to another susbsystem's internals. As much as possible to be abstracted away from specific implementations so that cross-platform can be made easier.

I'd like to see only the core functionality coded in a compiled language, the rest to be coded in EE's own scripting language (which will likely leverage one of the excellent and freely available scripting languages around today).

But anyhow, this is just a begining of a draft of an outline ... ;-) 

--
Derek Parnell
"Down with Mediocrity!"
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 05:36:14 pm »

Sounds in-FRICKIN-credible!

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 08:58:53 pm »

I think that is a fundamentally good structure, and it does echo what has been said before.

The only trouble with having the EE core being near-enough minimal is that plugins may interfere with each other, depending on the programming language involved. Some kind of QA system (a bit like the Mozilla guys have) might be in order.

I do agree as well with the separation of the code, which should make it more managable.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: