Emerald Editor Discussion
September 25, 2017, 12:42:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Some more thoughts on plugins/scripting  (Read 23326 times)
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 05:22:25 pm »

I think thats is a goal, we are currently trying to do that with CE
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 06:06:44 pm »

That would be nice, but it would also be hard to do some OS stuff that way (add to context menu on Windows in particular). I think we should keep as much of it as possible out of the registry so it can be easily moved to a USB if necessary. I do think there should be some sort of install for Windows users though, just to automate adding shortcuts to start menu and things, and if we need it we can release a separate .zip or a separate install for the portable version as a few (many) other programs are doing. Of course for the other OSes, the "install" will likely be a build from source, so that's not gonna be so hard to port to a USB anyway.
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 08:10:30 pm »

About Feldon's ideas, that is similar to what I have been thinking. Only I was thinking that the core of emerald editor would be bare of even a text editor. My idea is that EE could also have plugins to run whatever is in a tab, whether it be an text editor or a graphics editor or whatever.

I am working on a prototype design for EE, and I will likely present it on the forums soon. I will probably incorporate some of your ideas in it. Obviously what I say in the design does not have to be used, but having one prototype design is better than having none.

I don't think we have to worry that much about Crimson Editor similarity because we could develop a plug-in set that would make EE like CE.

More to come when I get the prototype specification ready,
Phil
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 08:18:57 pm »

One thing we should keep in mind when designing any part of this is that *there is a limit to how much plugins can do!* Granted you might be able to pull anything off with a convoluted gigantic code in your plugin, but we're talking nice to run, nice to write scripts/pieces of code. What plugins can do depends highly on the signals and API available to them from the core program.
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 10:25:29 pm »

To respond to a couple things below:

We should be careful how we develop this as tbh what has been described sounds an awful lot like eclipse.. We need to be careful to keep true to CE where possible.

While i agree there should be potential for plugins etc, I think we should have the core functionality the same as CE (with improvements where possible).

EE should have some of the most common language syntaxes (or none) by default.. I am eager for a SVN repo with just syntaxes in it and some form of moderation for all syntaxes submitted.

My comment would be that, because something is developed as a plugin does not inherently mean it wouldn't be distributed with the main program.  The advantage to writing something like, say, an SVN repo as a plugin is that that plugin can be uninstalled for users that don't want it.  It can also be uninstalled to make way for another, better SVN repo developed by somebody else.

One thing we should keep in mind when designing any part of this is that *there is a limit to how much plugins can do!* Granted you might be able to pull anything off with a convoluted gigantic code in your plugin, but we're talking nice to run, nice to write scripts/pieces of code. What plugins can do depends highly on the signals and API available to them from the core program.

Very true.  A question... plugins written with our scripting language of choice would obviously have to use an EE plugin API in order to integrate.  However, would plugins written in EE's language (presumably C++) be limited in this way?  Yes, I'm suggesting we allow both. Wink

About Feldon's ideas, that is similar to what I have been thinking. Only I was thinking that the core of emerald editor would be bare of even a text editor. My idea is that EE could also have plugins to run whatever is in a tab, whether it be an text editor or a graphics editor or whatever.

This is starting to sound a little outside the project scope.  Its an interesting idea though.  To me it essentially sounds like an open-source, cross-platform, errr, platform.  That is 1) run whatever O/S you want to, or have available, 2) Install EE, 3) Install all your plugins of choice.  Now you've got your own personal platform from which to run the EE browser, EE file manager, EE SVN repo, EE editor, etc...  Konqueror is like this, and in its own way, Firefox is becoming a little like this.
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 10:50:38 pm »

Very true.  A question... plugins written with our scripting language of choice would obviously have to use an EE plugin API in order to integrate.  However, would plugins written in EE's language (presumably C++) be limited in this way?  Yes, I'm suggesting we allow both. Wink

For pidgin, at least, the answer to that question is yes. What ends up happening is, the plugin either adds functionality or takes over a function for the core. Unfortunately, it can't easily change a function unless it either wants to rewrite the whole thing or if there are signals being sent out. Sorry if that doesn't make sense. It's easier with an example, and I have two:

1. Pidgin, unlike many IM clients, doesn't have an offline buddies group. I tried making a plugin for this, but unfortunately without making a completely new buddy list, it's not possible without creating a new tree node type, which plugins can't do, or making a brand new buddy list, which would be a bad idea. The functionality is sort of built into "hide offline buddies" so I gave up on it Tongue

2. Pidgin, with the release of 2.0.0, dropped the use of protocol icons to show availability and instead switched to something more like what iChat uses. This has somewhat sparked an uproar that is slowly dying down. Point is, a plugin can't put them back, I'm assuming because of the way the core handles drawing the buddy nodes in the list. I haven't looked into it because I'm not part of the uproar Grin

Also, I agree on having both.
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 07:11:59 pm »

This is starting to sound a little outside the project scope.  Its an interesting idea though.  To me it essentially sounds like an open-source, cross-platform, errr, platform.  That is 1) run whatever O/S you want to, or have available, 2) Install EE, 3) Install all your plugins of choice.  Now you've got your own personal platform from which to run the EE browser, EE file manager, EE SVN repo, EE editor, etc...  Konqueror is like this, and in its own way, Firefox is becoming a little like this.

You are right, it is seeming out of scope. I am thinking about using this specification as a personal project instead of using it for EE. Once I develop it though, it probably would not be too hard to cut back a few things to scope it down for EE. So it will probably take me a bit longer than I originally thought before I have something for EE.

Phil
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 09:00:14 pm »

The original plan was to have no true installation, so it could run from wherever, including any plugins to be stored in a plugins directory from wherever EE was located, then it would be portable without any issues.

My original feeling was to have EE-core as little more than a Notepad clone, able to load/save and do basic stuff, but have the highlighting core as well, so it could be a colourful Notepad if nothing else. Then everything else scripted in plugins.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 09:08:15 pm »

Granted this could be said about every feature, but it would also be nice to have auto-indent...or at least keep the same indentation. That's the *one* thing I can't stand about Wordpad/Notepad. But otherwise, I agree. That's what I would want.
John Yeung
Senior Miner

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2007, 03:36:24 am »

My original feeling was to have EE-core as little more than a Notepad clone, able to load/save and do basic stuff, but have the highlighting core as well, so it could be a colourful Notepad if nothing else. Then everything else scripted in plugins.

Granted this could be said about every feature, but it would also be nice to have auto-indent...or at least keep the same indentation. That's the *one* thing I can't stand about Wordpad/Notepad. But otherwise, I agree. That's what I would want.

I find that syntax highlighting and autoindentation are really the only two things I care passionately about in a programmer's text editor.  I certainly would not mind if the minimal installation of Emerald were essentially a colorful, autoindenting Notepad.  (Assuming it's as small and fast as one would expect such a thing to be.)

John
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007, 11:29:01 pm »

So, EE-core =

Notepad
+ long line support
+ no limit to file size (already in NT-kernel based Windows versions)
+ syntax highlighting engine
+ indentation
+ plugin engine
+ basic search/replace (not regexp)

Then everything else would be plugins?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 02:11:00 pm »

I'm good with that
Szandor
Senior Miner

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 03:27:57 pm »

Yes, exactly. That would indeed be perfect.

"Cleverly disguised as an original signature..."
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 08:23:46 pm »

What about column mode? I hope it's not going to be a plugin.

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007, 11:35:22 pm »

It likely will be, but a lot of these will be plugins that are distributed with the program, so you won't have to go searching for anything on the internet to enable it. You *might* have to check off some random box in the prefs or something, but that's the most you'll have to do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: