Emerald Editor Discussion
May 24, 2017, 10:42:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: I like to syntax, syntax...  (Read 33261 times)
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007, 10:59:39 am »

using an existing language would simplify things but would come with that languages overhead. whereas if we develop our own lightweight scripting language it can be basic to start with and as EE matures so will the scripting language as we get more user feedback.
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2007, 07:04:57 pm »

If we do opt to allow programming capabilities in the SSD's then I'd probably lean towards using EE's scripting language that Derek talks about here Smiley

John

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on"
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2007, 01:04:27 am »

There are other scripting languages to chose from besides Lua, some that are even more light-weight and easy to use.  Here's a few I came up with after a google search:

GameMonkey - http://www.somedude.net/gamemonkey/
Simkin - http://www.simkin.co.uk/
Python - http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/py_embed.asp (you can find the main Python site I'm sure)

John Yeung
Senior Miner

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2007, 02:10:34 pm »

I am amused that it already has a link to Emerald!  Of course nothing to do with the editor--their site claims that "Emerald is a leading English language publisher of academic and professional literature in management, library services and engineering."

John
Derek Parnell
Lead Architect
Miner

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 12:01:49 am »

If we do opt to allow programming capabilities in the SSD's then I'd probably lean towards using EE's scripting language that Derek talks about here Smiley
Of course the decision about which scripting language to use is yet come and there are quite a few contenders. The one we choose has to be good enough to last for many years and be flexible enough to accomodate enhancements in EE itself (without ruining much of any already user-written scripts). We must think long term here.

--
Derek Parnell
"Down with Mediocrity!"
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 11:31:35 am »

The one we choose has to be good enough to last for many years and be flexible enough to accomodate enhancements in EE itself (without ruining much of any already user-written scripts). We must think long term here.

Which is why i am for creating our own (simple)  scripting language as this will mean that EE itself will be responsible for maintaining it along with EE.

It would also mean that it would be customisable by the devs and tweaked given user feedback.
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2007, 02:55:08 pm »

I'm anxious to see 1.0b out there for download, so I would argue against creating a new language.  Extensions to an existing language might be okay, but otherwise I think our hands are full just trying to integrate something that has already been written (and tested and released and used).
corelon
Miner

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2007, 09:15:41 pm »

The whole scripting language issue can be really taunting. I agree with Matthew1344 that we should consider existing, used (tested and maybe popular) languages, where we know the weaknesses and strong points. E.g. I have heard that Lua still has some issues with Unicode, which might be a reason for us not using it as a scripting language (that is just an example). But creating a new language from scratch, may result in something that will not be what we want. Too much time needed to create a language, there is specific knowledge that is needed, which would mean calling for more people with specific knowledge in the field and generally stuff that take out attention out of the main goal which is to create Emerald Editor finally!!

Cheers,

Nick
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2007, 02:06:16 am »

My recommendation would be to pick a language that meets our needs today.  I would challenge you to think of a reason why that language would not work 5 years from now?  Even if the worst happened and it isn't completely workable as is, since the scripting language would be open source, we could fork it and develop it for our own use.
toastman
Prospector

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2007, 09:08:55 pm »

Python - http://www.python.org

I think that's all I need to say. Embed a Python interpreter into the editor (easy to do, well-supported, etc, etc) and most of your problems go away.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: