Emerald Editor Discussion
September 25, 2017, 12:24:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Future of Crimson and Emerald Editors  (Read 19240 times)
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« on: January 02, 2007, 11:40:25 pm »

As a result of Mr Kangís very generous donation to the community of the Crimson Editor source code there have been a lot of questions about where this leaves both Emerald Editor and Crimson Editor.

I hope to clear up where we as the Emerald Editor team stand, and what we are proposing to do with Crimson Editor and its source code.

Do we need Emerald Editor?
Iím sure I speak for everyone on the Emerald Editor team when I say yes Smiley. Emerald Editor 1.0 will not be Crimson Editor 4.0. To ensure that our design goals are met, and we are able to produce the text editor that we want, itís much easier to start from a fresh page then to redevelop a previous solution. Put quite simply redeveloping the CE 3.70 source to make it both multi-platform, and to allow for the additional functionality that is so desired by the community would be a huge undertaking. The time would be better spent developing EE from a fresh perspective.

What about Crimson Editor, and the CE source code?
While we wonít be basing EE 1.0 on the CE 3.70 source, EE 1.0 will be the natural evolution of CE. Because of this we feel that itís only right that while Emerald Editor is under development we offer certain resources to allow for the continued support of Crimson Editor. We will shortly be posting CE into the EE Subversion repository at svn://svn.emeraldeditor.com/, which is browsable online through http://svn.emeraldeditor.com/ and making mirrors of CE 3.70 and its source available.

We will also be providing support through the EE forum, which will naturally expand into supporting EE as time goes on.

We are also putting together a dedicated team within the EE project to look after all elements of Crimson Editor, from the code to support. Iím happy to say that Phil Deets has accepted the role of leading this team.

Why has the EE team volunteered what it has?
Simple: CE is somewhat unmaintained, despite Mr Kang's generous provision of the source. As EE was aiming to be the next logical development of CE, it feels natural for us to look after CE as well, since there will be some cross-over between the current and next incarnations of CE/EE.

Why isn't the EE team taking it over entirely, but partly?
The journey to EE is not a quick one, and it seems only right to us that we should look after its forefather, maintaining it and supporting it.

If you have any other questions or comments feel free to contact me, or to post on the EE forums.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 06:49:05 am by Soulfish » Logged

John

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on"
Kamots
Miner

Perpetual Student

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 02:26:27 am »

This is excellent news indeed! Looks like it will be a Happy New Year after all... let's get to work then.
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 12:16:55 pm »

Not sure where to post this but here looks as good as anyplace (maybe you should create a thread / catagory for recruitment) I'll happily test windows versions if i am provided with the binaries.
ce2000
Miner

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 04:06:48 pm »

I'd like to see you guys just keep tweaking and improving CE. Its a great app already, it just needs some updates and a few new features.

I'm kinda disappointed to not see it happen, though.  Cry
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 04:18:10 pm by ce2000 » Logged

Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 01:59:38 am »

Sorry not much has been done yet. I stay pretty busy with school.

We need people to volunteer their time to get anything done. I hope to get an installer and a standalone version finished soon so we can post our own download for CE. After that, I would like a todo list to be made of what needs to be done so that we can point volunteers to list of ideas of what to work on. If you would like to volunteer in the CE project, you could make that list and private message it to me so that I can post it on the CE development forum as a pinned topic. I think once the download is up and the list is there, we will look better for would-be volunteers, and maybe we can get some more coders.

Phil
ekerner
Prospector

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 02:54:50 am »

OK this is sending me mad, someone, anyone please tell me ...

Is there such a thing as Emerald Editor?
If there is, where is it?
If not, then please, stop calling crimson editor emerald editor. Its embarrassing.
Futher,
Crimson editor (and again, Im not sure if Im on the correct forum) doesent seem to have a place for reporting bugs.
Where is that?
I found an emerald editor bugs site ( http://bugs.emeraldeditor.com/ ) but wasnt allowed to join.
And since this is the buggiest editor iv ever used, I think a bugs report site is required.
It seems even the author got confused and abandonned the code.
OK now, the main bug I wanted to report (and yes Iv searched the forum - which I cant join - and doesnt work either) is: -
I deleted a file ages ago (from out side while it was loaded into the editor), and now every time I start the whatever-it-is editor it complains that the file doesnt exists.
One more thing if you please: Who ever uses code indenting like crimson editor thinks I want? It actually moves my curly brackets even when explicitly placed.
I see below about volunteering. I will if you make the thing work.

Eugene.
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 06:15:47 am »

OK this is sending me mad, someone, anyone please tell me ...

Is there such a thing as Emerald Editor?

It's basically vaporware to be honest. It was intended to replace Crimson Editor (CE), but when CE's source was opened, the main motivation for developing it was lost.

If there is, where is it?

There is some source code in the SVN repository, but I haven't messed with it much.

If not, then please, stop calling crimson editor emerald editor. Its embarrassing.

I personally don't, and I completely agree that we shouldn't call CE Emerald Editor (EE), but the fact that the CE download is hosted on the EE sourceforge page makes sourceforge say that you are downloading EE when in fact you are downloading CE. Also the download link at the top of emeraldeditor.com being a CE download is not a great idea. A separate download page with an explanation that EE is not available for download, but CE downloads are available would be nicer.

Futher,
Crimson editor (and again, Im not sure if Im on the correct forum) doesent seem to have a place for reporting bugs.
Where is that?
I found an emerald editor bugs site ( http://bugs.emeraldeditor.com/ ) but wasnt allowed to join.

I don't know why you couldn't join http://bugs.emeraldeditor.com/. Most of the bugs there are for CE. You can see that in the "Product/Version" column. Also, some people post bugs at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=168261&atid=846120. If you can't join, you can post bugs in the CE development forum or the CE support forum if you need some help with the issue.

And since this is the buggiest editor iv ever used, I think a bugs report site is required.
It seems even the author got confused and abandonned the code.
OK now, the main bug I wanted to report (and yes Iv searched the forum - which I cant join - and doesnt work either) is: -
I deleted a file ages ago (from out side while it was loaded into the editor), and now every time I start the whatever-it-is editor it complains that the file doesnt exists.

That's strange. Normally for me, that message comes up once, since it tries to load the missing document in a tab, but fails. After you close the program and reopen it, it doesn't try to load it again. If yours is behaving differently, you could try deleting your cedt.wks file. This is in the same folder as the executable if you are running the portable version of one of our SVN builds or if you are running 3.70; it is probably in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Emerald Editor Community\Crimson Editor SVN### if you are running an installed version of an SVN build on Windows XP. I'm not sure where it goes in an installed version of an SVN build on Windows versions other than XP.

One more thing if you please: Who ever uses code indenting like crimson editor thinks I want? It actually moves my curly brackets even when explicitly placed.

It works well for me if I use the standard C style:
it (condition)
{
   //code
}
Just don't backspace before you type the end-brace. There was some discussion about this 2 years ago probably in the CE Development forum; I don't remember what the outcome of this discussion was though. You can turn this off though if you don't like it. Uncheck "Enable auto indent" in Tools->Preferences->General.

I see below about volunteering. I will if you make the thing work.

Eugene.

Maybe you can volunteer to help make the thing work.

Phil
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 06:17:18 am by Phil » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: