Emerald Editor Discussion
October 19, 2017, 04:45:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Regarding CE-open source  (Read 5262 times)
gregcmcse
Prospector

« on: January 01, 2007, 04:20:15 pm »

Quote from: Arantor
Split off from http://forum.emeraldeditor.com/index.php?board=16.0 as here is more appropriate.

A new challenge for the new Architect!  I've posted the following on the CE message board, I suggest we all follow-up on the thread there to reach the most people.

Ingyu Kang wrote:
>>>...I decided to make Crimson Editor as open source project. You can download the source code of Crimson Editor at Crimson Editor Homepage now. Thank you.

Phil wrote:
>>Thank you, I was one who requested this a while ago.  I have already changed to code so it will compile in Visual Studio 2005.

Pete Spicer wrote:
>Thank you, Mr Kang, you will never realise how much this means to the community.

Ingyu:  from a devoted user and fan, thank you so very much!

Phil & Pete:  I know this is brand new news, and you're still mulling it over while on the new years holiday, but let me make a couple of suggestions aimed at keeping the craziness to a minimum:
1.  Please make a space at EE for the original CE 3.70, and assign a team (or at least a capable lead) to manage the original source code line.  I suggest that Phil's VS 2005 version exist there as well as the original VS6 version, and that, as possible, only minor bugfixes be offered as part of CE -- first to the VS2005 version and also the VS6 version when possible (should be possible in almost all cases).  If nobody has the time to manage this on the EE team now, I will volunteer to manage the bugfix line.  I don't recommend any new functionality be put into CE as there is some question what license CE is under.

2.  Pete:  I strongly suggest you consider folding all of the CE 3.70 source into the EE project with only small UI and menu changes for 1.0 of EE.  Mr. Kang should be credited first (and profusely) in the credits.  Then, once EE is out and stable, start accepting and prioritizing feature requests for version 2.0.  Hopefully you can use any code that has been developed so far for EE to integrate with or supplant the CE code.  Since EE is GPL, that solves most of the concerns over who does what with that code.

3.  Everyone:  The community will be best served if everyone who loves CE gets behind the efforts of the EE guys.  This is the break we've all been hoping (perhaps even praying) for with the editor we all love.  If everyone tries to be as selfless as possible about this, we can go far.

This is a great development for CE and EE!

-- Greg Corey
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 09:46:07 pm by Arantor » Logged
Derek Parnell
Lead Architect
Miner

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 10:06:39 pm »

Quote from: Arantor
Split off from http://forum.emeraldeditor.com/index.php?board=16.0 as here is more appropriate.

A new challenge for the new Architect! 

2.  ...  I strongly suggest you consider folding all of the CE 3.70 source into the EE project with only small UI and menu changes for 1.0 of EE. 
This is a challenge that I decline to take on.

I will be only working to create EE, and I'm not equipped or willing to help upgrade CE. The code base for EE must not contain any CE code and I suspect that EE's architecture will not allow that anyway. The key problems will be support for multi-platform, active plug-in, and generic syntax.

--
Derek Parnell
"Down with Mediocrity!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: