Emerald Editor Discussion
October 22, 2017, 09:00:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Development of Crimson Editor  (Read 10162 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: January 01, 2007, 09:39:52 pm »

As everyone will no doubt be aware by now, the project which forms the inspiration for Emerald Editor, namely Crimson Editor, has been made open-source by its creator, Ingyu Kang.

First up, I don't know if Mr Kang reads this forum, but I would like to thank him for all his hard work, and this generous gesture of making his work available to us.

That now leaves us with a very important question to answer: what of Crimson Editor?

I think we can safely say that Emerald Editor isn't going to just be the next version of Crimson Editor. The last release of Crimson Editor was 3.70. I think I am right in saying that CE 4.0 will not be Emerald Editor 1.0. We aren't going to absorb CE into EE. EE will need to be a ground-up rewrite of everything previously covered in CE.

If nothing else, it means instead of rewriting the entire GUI aspect of CE to be cross-platformable, we can start off by changing a few design decisions Ingyu made when building CE, which will allow EE to be more flexible and wider-ranging. For example, the plugin system that has been suggested, plus the proposed enhancements to the syntax format.

From my own personal point of view of webhost/bandwidth monitor (I don't just maintain the site and its software, I actually maintain the server itself), I have no objections to hosting copies of CE 3.70 (plus any archives if anyone wants any), nor to hosting copies of the CE source. I also think that we'd be able to run a support forum (like on Crimson's website currently)

However, I think I speak for the majority, based on the comments I've read and seen (plus my emails and messages on the subejct) that the EE project team should not take on the legacy of developing and extending CE.

This is not to say that CE won't be actively developed. Indeed, some people may wish to do just that, and in that case we may be able to arrange something to co-ordinate between what is likely to be a winding-down of CE while EE is building up to 1.0. It is entirely likely that some people will be flitting between both developments (I know if we handle support-type queries for CE and EE that I'll happily do both) but the core project team will probably concentrate primarily on EE's future.

That said, I am not in a position to say what we should/should not do. I've moved (or in the process of moving) the relevant threads into this board, just for the time being so we can look at this issue separately to everything else.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 02:03:13 pm »

I believe our team lead has made the decision and posted here -> http://forum.emeraldeditor.com/index.php?topic=235.0
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 08:12:46 pm »

Indeed. This post was aiming to be a kind of statement as to where EE would be going given that CE's source had been released.

We now have a formal posting on where we're going which supercedes this.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: