Emerald Editor Discussion
May 24, 2017, 05:05:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Crimson Editor source code  (Read 11868 times)
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: December 30, 2006, 05:52:54 am »

Probably most of you know, but to those who don't, Crimson Editor was open sourced today. Grin

I got the code to compile in Visual Studio 2005.  I had to do lots of changes because I think Mr. Kang used Visual Studio 6. But now that I got it to compile it seems pretty much like the v3.70. It uses MFC and ATL. Now I'm going to look into how difficult it would be to port it to wxWidgets.

Phil

thePsychologist
Prospector

Mathematician, psychologist, human.

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 06:01:13 am »

I tried to email Mr Kang not too long ago about the source code just for fun...now I doubt my email had anything to do with his releasing the code, but I'm happy nevertheless. At first when I read your post I thought haha, what a joke. Then I went to check the website. I downloaded a copy of the precious stuff to my hard drive. Cool. Very cool.

And an update: just thought I'd post Mr Kang's statement:

===
Hi, I am the author of Crimson Editor.

Recently, I knew that I could not afford to make time to support Crimson Editor. So, I decided to make Crimson Editor as open source project. You can download the source code of Crimson Editor at Crimson Editor Homepage now. Thank you.

Regards,
Ingyu Kang
===
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 06:15:44 am by thePsychologist » Logged

“Sensation tell us a thing is. Thinking tell us what it is this thing is. Feeling tells us what this thing is to us.” - Carl Jung
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 12:43:47 am »

Should we mirror this on EE.com somewhere?

Now we have the CE base, let's get this party started.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Emerald Fox
Global Moderator
Miner

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 01:38:27 pm »

This great news!!!  Grin

I'm with you on this, Arantor, I think that it should be mirrored on EE.com somewhere - in tribute to Ingyu Kang and his excellent Crimson Editor legacy.

So, how long before we get the even better news: "Emerald Editor Beta V1.0 is ready for testing"?   Wink

No signature currently stored in profile.
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 06:38:02 pm »

We could create a separate module in the repository for the CE source which we can work on while we decide what to do with EE.

I'm willing to upload my code or you just can use the CE code.  My code is basically the CE code with the following changes:
  • Some of the file sizes were stored in 64 bits and some in 32 bits.  I changed them all to 64 so VS 2005 would quit complaining.
  • He used outdated C++ headers (like <fstream.h> instead of <fstream>). I updated them to the current headers and changed some places in the code to allow them to work with the new ones.
  • I changed some deprecated functions to the more recent ones.
  • I added the define _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE to eliminate a lot of MSVC 2005 specific depreciations of some common functions. (This should be temporary.)

After making these changes, my code compiles in VS 2005 with 0 errors and 0 warnings.

Phil
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 11:02:07 pm by Phil » Logged
eXXile
Prospector

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 04:37:28 pm »

Probably most of you know, but to those who don't, Crimson Editor was open sourced today. Grin

I got the code to compile in Visual Studio 2005.  I had to do lots of changes because I think Mr. Kang used Visual Studio 6. But now that I got it to compile it seems pretty much like the v3.70. It uses MFC and ATL. Now I'm going to look into how difficult it would be to port it to wxWidgets.

Phil

Phil,

Can you tell us what you did to get it to compile on VS2005?

Thanks!
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 07:16:36 pm »

Just look at the post before yours. It says what I did. I haven't changed the code much since then.

Phil
jonnymind
Miner

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 11:05:36 pm »

Phil

I would suggest taking GTK into consideration. While it hasn't the "native look and feel" of wxWidgets on the target platform, it surely renders better on linux and other unices (wx usage of GTK is... uhm... minimal). It has the same portability of wxWindows (win, mac, lin, more...)

Also, GTK is a bit more expandible. In example, instead of using the scintilla component as the core engine of the editor widget, one (we) may write our own editor widget based on the already powerful GTK editor; we would have a much more easy time in coding in hooks at word parsing points (i.e. scripts, plugins and grammar highlight).

Finally, GTK are conceptually much more simple in layout and window rendering.

And about the look, up to date noone was unhappy with Mozilla/firefox look, not even on windows where it doesn't look "native"... :-)

Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 05:07:41 am »

I think Crimson Editor will probably stick with MFC due to my lack of desire to spend the time to port it. Hopefully we can get Emerald Editor development started in the not too distant future. Emerald Editor will always be cross platform, but it is not even designed yet.

Phil
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: