Emerald Editor Discussion
May 27, 2017, 10:22:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Syntax Files  (Read 6655 times)
mocallins
Miner

« on: December 28, 2006, 12:15:50 am »

I'm not so opposed to any format for the Syntax files. However since we are in the 21st Century now.
Couldn't we make the updating / creating of syntax files a little more user freindly.
More of what I am thinking about is the adding of keywords for a particular language, couldn't we have it to where you highlight the word (in the file you are editing) and have a right click option of the mouse to say "Add to Syntax file" and then have it popup a list of whatever keyword groups you have defined (or define a new one) and then just click "Ok" to add it in.
Then on close of that "Syntax editor" have it reload the Syntax file, so you have the new addition(s).

I also agree with other posts, that 1 file is enough for all syntax related settings.
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:58:12 pm »

I believe that might make the program rather large, though it seems like it should be easily implemented in a plugin--maybe the same one that will (hopefully exist) allow editing of the syntax file without (assuming XML syntax file format) XML knowledge.
Szandor
Senior Miner

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 05:01:03 pm »

I believe that might make the program rather large, though it seems like it should be easily implemented in a plugin--maybe the same one that will (hopefully exist) allow editing of the syntax file without (assuming XML syntax file format) XML knowledge.
Are there still people actually contemplating XML-format for syntax files?

How editable the syntax files should be is actually a quite hard question. No doubt will there be people who add bad keywords into their files, making their syntax definitions wrong. A definition for HTML, for example, might have "FONT" and other keywords no longer part of it added, making the users write bad and faulty code. On the other hand, a syntax definition should be fairly easy to write and edit to ensure that a large library of syntaxes is established, as well as making sure that people can write syntaxes to suit their own needs.

Still, EE is not meant to be the perfect user-friendly program, it's meant to be powerful and versatile.

"Cleverly disguised as an original signature..."
MichaelDotNet
Miner

Now I shall smite you.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 03:20:32 am »

Contrary to popular belief, XML is not the answer to all problems.  XML for syntax files is baaaaaad, I would think something more along the lines of a pseudo scripting language.....
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 04:34:09 am »

I only mentioned XML specifically because I remembered it being discussed. The comment applies to any language that's used, whether it be Perl, C, XML, HTML, or anything else...even Javascript. For someone that doesn't know the language, it would be nice to have something that will allow them to edit the syntax files, and this same plugin would probably be able to have the features that mocallins requested.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: