Emerald Editor Discussion
August 23, 2017, 01:39:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Site administration  (Read 6391 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: December 17, 2006, 08:48:44 pm »

Hello,
Starting today, the site administration is becoming more streamlined - the content pages are now managed through the forum software itself, instead of separate pages which were routed through SVN.

This will allow much more up-to-date site management to go on, since it now means I don't have to worry about content being routed through SVN and then back out to the web-server area. If nothing else, it means that I don't have to write a script to pull content out of SVN, push it to the web area, or do it manually like I have been.

In case anyone was wondering why this was all going on, it is because I am currently in the midst of streamlining site management in general, and as the forum is the main home of CE/prospective EE users, the site's administration will be covered by that.

The plan so far is:

• Ensure all applications are at latest available versions and appropriately secured.
  • Unify the site/subsections to all use the same theme (includes Bugdar, ViewVC etc.)
  • Bring the non-application sections of the site (About EE, FAQ, Team pages) into some form of content manager.
  • Move all applications and site subsections to individual subdomains - currently only the SVN browser and the forum are handled in this way (svn.emeraldeditor.com and forum.emeraldeditor.com respectively).
  • Write interfaces to Bugdar and phpFileDB to allow authorised users from the forum to administrate those appropriate sections (e.g. any authorised forum user should be able to post bug reports)

The final changes in the above list will take a little longer because of the interfacing between applications that is involved. However, it will mean that you only have one username/password to remember. Unfortunately, though, with adding in subdomains, it may not be possible to export sessions between them - e.g. logging into the forum won't mean you will already be logged in automatically with the bug tracker or download manager. That said, if I can get it to work in some fashion without affecting security, I'll do just that.

I really would like above all, though, to manage the Subversion repository access through here, but I don't believe that will be possible (at least not without rewriting the SVN server authentication module!). If it should change, though, I'll make it happen.

If anyone else has any other ideas/suggestions/comments, please let me know.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 09:16:28 pm by Arantor » Logged

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 06:04:33 pm »

The plan so far is:

• Move all applications and site subsections to individual subdomains - currently only the SVN browser and the forum are handled in this way (svn.emeraldeditor.com and forum.emeraldeditor.com respectively).

Well, About, FAQ and Team are done. I'm going to do Bugs shortly, followed by Downloads last.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 08:49:13 pm »

Bugs has moved, and Downloads shortly (possibly tonight)... I'll post the base source of Crimson 3.70 (as provided by Ingyu Kang) in there shortly.

Meanwhile, does anyone have any objection to my removing the 'website' branch from the SVN server? Most of that code is obselete now, given that the About, FAQ and Team pages pull through from the forum, and Bugs, Downloads and Source are all separate applications anyhow.

I just think it's one less branch we need to worry about and there is no actual need to keep the content there now, since the alterations can be made so much more easily elsewhere. Plus it means I can make the SVN daily dump script a whole lot smaller (I need to rewrite it anyway to cope with the new CE entries anyway)

Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 09:11:45 pm »

Sounds good to me.

Phil
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 10:53:40 pm »

And me Smiley

John

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 07:25:02 am »

I hate working the schedules I do at work, it means I don't always get round to doing stuff! Still, I've now finally gotten round to removing the website branch as it is no longer needed. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: