Emerald Editor Discussion
May 25, 2017, 11:32:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wxStyledTextCtrl  (Read 5982 times)
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: December 15, 2006, 02:45:26 am »

Hi, since this is my first post, I'll introduce myself before I ask my question.  Obviously, my name is Phil.  I am from northeastern USA.  I am a computer science/mathematics double major in my second year of college. My OS is Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.  I also use Ubuntu some through VMware.  My skillset includes C, C++, C#, and PHP/HTML.  I use Visual Studio 2005 for C/C++ and C#.  I use Crimson Editor for most of the rest of my development.

I found out about this project from the Wikipedia entry for Crimson Editor.  I am considering helping out with the project, but I admit I am put off by the license.  With the GPL, I don't think I can keep rights to any code I write so I could use it in any of my projects.  Or maybe I can use my code, but just not anyone else's.  I'm not sure how that works.

Anyway, I am trying to compile Emerald Editor.  I have wxWidgets 2.8.0 installed. (It just came out.)  In stedefs.h, line 19, there is an include for "wx/stc/stc.h".  I don't have that file.  I googled it and found out it is wxStyledTextCtrl.  Where can I get this?  Also shouldn't the include be in <angle brackets>?

Also, is there any central document or anything that describes the architecture of the editor so far.  If not, can you give me a quick rundown of how things work so far?

Thanks in advance,
Phil
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 08:24:21 pm »

Hello!
Welcome to Emerald Editor!

To answer your questions:

Licensing: The whole point of the GNU General Public License is about sharing. Essentially you can build any code for Emerald Editor you like - you keep the copyright because you wrote it (that one is part of copyright law in most countries and can't readily be undone). It also means that anyone else who sees your code can look at it, use it, adapt it etc. You still retain copyright over the sections you wrote, but you're allowing other users to modify and rewrite it to work better here.

The slightly thornier issue is about using that code yourself. Of course, for any projects where the result will be licensed similarly, there is no issue. I think I am right, though, in saying that you can use the code yourself for any projects elsewhere that you want - provided that you don't try and claim the first project was in breach of copyright. If I am incorrect about this, please say so.

wxStyledTextCtrl: It should be buildable from the 'contrib' folder of wxWidgets. That said, the build instructions were aimed at wxWidgets 2.6.x - I don't know if wxSTC is still part of it.

Structure: I don't know too much about the physical structure of the EE code as it stands - it's basically a straight import of wxStEdit. The structure works something like this:

** Operating System **
wxWidgetsInterface to OS
wxStyledTextControlwx Container for Scintilla
ScintillaCustomisable edit component (includes codebase for syntax highlighting, plus optional code folding)

It is a little more complex than that but that is the nuts and bolts of it (I'm not a fully fledged C++ programmer so I might have missed a few things in translation. However, a lot of the features that we want to expand will need major rewrites - e.g. with Scintilla the highlighting is built more into the code, while we need it to be from external files.

Soulfish will shortly be getting together a design team to formally wrap the design up and explain it (which may change the above).

Hopefully that should get you started.

Regards,
Pete

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 09:10:07 pm »

Licensing:
Ok, in that case the licensing should be ok if I can use the code that I write for my own projects.

wxStyledTextCtrl:
Thanks, I found it there and got it built.

Structure:
That's nice to hear there will be work on a formal design.  That will help a lot if it is done well.

Also, I clicked the globe by your name to see your website, and I took your geek quiz.  I guess I'm 48% geek.  Cheesy

Thanks for the answers,
Phil
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 10:55:10 pm »

Ha! 68% Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: