Emerald Editor Discussion
June 27, 2017, 02:56:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do we need an IRC channel?
Yes, definitely! - 5 (38.5%)
Yes, probably. - 4 (30.8%)
Maybe. - 3 (23.1%)
Probably not (not yet, anyways) - 1 (7.7%)
NO!! Don't ever add it in! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IRC channel? (poll)  (Read 10854 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: December 13, 2006, 05:33:15 pm »

It has been suggested before that we set up an IRC channel, or at the very least some kind of chat-room for real-time discussion for developmental purposes.

I have no objection to setting one up of some kind, but if we do, we have the following options:

• I can organise something with FreeNode.net and get a channel there, e.g. #emerald, #emeraldeditor
  • I can set up an IRC server here, which will be irc://irc.emeraldeditor.com, but that isn't really my first choice. It is doable though if there is demand for this option.
  • I can set up a web-based option, e.g. RookChat as used by RinkWorks, plus one of my best buddies wrote a number of patches for RookChat and knows it really well, so if I have any questions, he'll probably know the answer.

What does everything think?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 10:04:31 pm »

I'd highly recommend FreeNode.net.  Its easy to setup, pretty easy to maintain (once you know what you're doing), and a lot of people will just assume that a project like Emerald Editor is on FreeNode.net.

It may not be particularly popular now, but since its free thats not really an issue.  At the very least you can link people to the website.  A more interesting use would be making it a developer's hangout.  Its basically a free and easy-to-use way of having real-time conversation's about the project - conversation that don't even have to be planned (although they could be).

One idea, once you have it up and running and feel like you have a handle on it, you may want to schedule (using the forums) a developer's meeting to take place in IRC at a specific date/time.  This would encourage people to get their feet wet if you will.

Oh, and btw, for you Windows users, http://www.mirc.com is the software you'll want.  On Linux I personally tend to use XChat, but there are other worthy alternatives.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 10:07:47 pm by Feldon » Logged
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 10:47:48 pm »

I'm very much in favour of an IRC chat room for the project. As Feldon mentioned its a good thing to use for a developer's hangout and for discussion of various issues, or just idle chat Smiley

Having a channel on FreeNode.net is probably best - it's a well established network that a lot of people use.

John

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 11:02:05 pm »

Sounds good to me - I'll arrange it over the next few days (as they say on their website they need to contact by phone)

As soon as it's arranged I'll post on here.

Derek Parnell
Lead Architect
Miner

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 01:14:59 am »

It has been suggested before that we set up an IRC channel, or at the very least some kind of chat-room for real-time discussion for developmental purposes.
I'm generally in favour of this idea, however a few issues will need to be considered...
  • A log of all discussions needs to be kept and made available for 'off-irc' viewing.
  • Be aware that we are a global group with people in very different timezones, and thus not all people can participate when convenient for some others.
  • Beware of bots. They can be good or bad, so there needs to be, at least, a policy that deals with the use of bots in the chat room.

--
Derek Parnell
"Down with Mediocrity!"
simpleid
Prospector

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 02:41:40 pm »

Time zones is always a problem, but I'm usually around all weekend long developing so I'll be there early and late. Smiley

It would be more realistic to just keep notes of things worth noting and posting them on the forum, it would be extremely unrealistic to log and manually hunt information down in chat logs from IRC, considering they would be 24/7. Obviously in casual chat it won't just business, right right? Wink

Who ever the moderators will be should create private channels for developers, and public channels for anyone who was interested and just wanted to give general input or chat. This is important, because with 50+ people in a channel there's just no way to talk about things pertinent to the project or work well period. So keep that in mind. (yea it's easy to get 50+ considering how many people enjoy idling in many channels, the more this project progresses the more people will likely find their way in to #[name].)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 02:44:43 pm by simpleid » Logged
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 09:32:40 pm »

A log of all discussions needs to be kept and made available for 'off-irc' viewing.
The way I see the IRC channel working is mainly as a developer hang-out, and a place to discuss small issues that crop up in day to day tasks. If we do have any form of meeting or discussion using IRC (or any other IM system) I think it's only right that a record of what was discussed and what was decided is kept. As you rightly say we're a global group and not everyone can be there for every discussion - everyone needs to sleep!

John

John

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on"
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 12:01:27 pm »

i am inclined for the rookchat version as i cant access IRC from work.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 03:03:00 pm by Pvt_Ryan » Logged
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 02:42:07 pm »

What's the status on the channel? Happening? If so, idea what it will be?
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 06:32:26 pm »

Well, no-one at Freenode ever got back to me about this so I'll sort out a browser implementation through RookChat very shortly.

I'll also set the system up so logging can be done automatically and I'll sift through the logs every day or so for anything useful.

rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 07:45:19 pm »

It looks like you should just be able to fill out this form.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 07:53:29 pm »

I filled out that form back on December 13th (as per my post), and I know Soulfish filled it out within a day or so of me doing it, but neither of us appears to have been contacted for the pre-setup verification.

rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 06:04:18 am »

Alright, well I guess I'll try to set it up then, as long as you're ok with me being the contact for the group. I'll wait for a go ahead from someone before I submit the form and get on their ---es about it. Maybe I'll ask someone who has set one up before or ask in #freenode to make sure I don't miss a step. Any requests on the channel? Right now I'm thinking #emeraldedit
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 07:41:21 am »

I just looked into it a little bit and found on the FAQ:

• I haven't received a response on my group contact form yet. What's up?  We're several months behind in our processing of the forms. We're catching up as quickly as we can.
  • How can I speed up the processing of my group contact form? We use the "squeaky wheel" system. Speak to first level support and ask to have the priority bumped up. We'll do our best to get you taken care of quickly!
  • How do our group members request hostname cloaks or channel resets? You should provide your members with the name of someone associated with your group who can process their requests. We may not be able to point them directly to your group contact due to our privacy policy.
I asked in the help channel how to set up an unofficial channel for the time being and they said you can just /join #<name> and if no one's there, use it for whatever. So I joined #emeraldedit and lo and behold it worked! Grin So for now anyway, that's our IRC channel. Looks like we have some news, though that might have to wait til it's official Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: