Emerald Editor Discussion
May 27, 2017, 08:26:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm new here, want to contribute.  (Read 4957 times)
simpleid
Prospector

« on: December 13, 2006, 03:29:47 pm »

Hey,

I'm just introducing myself here to this community as I'm interested in the projects progress and development, so you don't have to read this unless you're specifically interested in my background. Which I give because I want to help in developing so you have to know something about me, right? Yep...

I'm 21. I work professionally as a developer while going to school still. Though I am far passionate for programming, mathematics, science, etc., An example of how I think about GUI/UI design, I view it as a science (psychology?), from the perspective of how people interpret the space they see and how to best present information in an intuitive manner. In terms of programming I enjoy figuring out ways of implementing features which require complex patterns and prediction of the user (e.g., behavioral patterns, general enhancements in programming (auto-brackets), etc).

I've worked on all kinds of stuff, everything from c(sockets), c++(ogl, cryptography), php(gd/sql/css/sockets), perl, jscript(ajax), java (analysis (fourier, stegnography, statistics, etc), gui, sockets), c#(sharepoint/media services/gui), photoshop(5-cs2), etc...

Ok well, I hope that gives everyone a good idea of my background and ability, I hope I can give something to this project, there are a few features I'm personally interested in seeing become a reality.

It's too bad Crimson Editor is going to fade out in time. I hope this place isn't dead, it could be a nice project, Crimson Editor could have been so much more.

I looked around a bit but didn't see any information about an IRC channel, is there one the developers use and allow people to hang out in?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 03:35:20 pm by simpleid » Logged
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 05:03:41 pm »

Welcome to Emerald Editor!

In terms of UI design, it was always envisaged that we'd start with Crimson Editor in terms of design and structure and adjust from there depending on how we wanted it to work. There was also plans afoot for a plugin system (which, from a UI perspective, might be handled like in Firefox)

Emerald Editor was started because Crimson seemed (and still does, being honest) like it was going to fade, but it hasn't thoroughly done so yet...

Discussion of auto brackets, and I suppose any syntactical analysis in general, is something that I suspect will need to be on the list because it is a feature that has been discussed before and needs further discussion.

One of CE's strengths - sans argument - was its support for syntax highlighting, especially adding new syntaxes to the fold. Intelligent support for that data (e.g. code folding, intelligent indentation, even language nesting) was one of those things that I originally had down as "Well, we'll do it how CE does it for now" but with an eye to completely rewriting it for the future.

CE was/is good, and hopefully EE can be even better. I think we can do it!

[Edit] P.S. We don't have an IRC channel at the moment, but if this is something that people want, it can be arranged. It was first discussed some time ago here, and no real resolution came of it because it didn't seem like there was any demand for it.

That said, I could also arrange an instance of RookChat to be installed, which means I can keep everything here (I have a real issue with outsourcing facilities when I could set them up here, that way if it doesn't work it's my fault Wink)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 05:15:11 pm by Arantor » Logged

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
simpleid
Prospector

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 05:14:32 pm »

I looked around some more, you actually don't seem to use IRC. A lot of groups I've worked with in the past on programming projects would use IRC channels to discuss and develop in real time. I can't express how crucial I actually think a medium like IRC would be, there's just no way you can beat the convenience and ability to communicate effectively.

What do you think? Would it be possible for you to have the team moderate an IRC channel which people may idle and talk in?

I worked with some game programmers on a half-life mod a while back and the ability to pass code and builds (alphas, betas, releases) around for testing was amazingly useful and practical.

Please consider it.

Smiley
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 05:17:27 pm »

Seems I just answered your question - I didn't see your post there as I was writing mine.

I do see that an IRC channel can be a boost, but I do wonder how popular it'd be. I'll post something under the "Website Facilities" section with a poll and see what happens.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 11:39:00 pm »

Welcome to the EE community! We're hoping to get things moving again soonish, so you've arrived at just the right time Smiley. It looks like your strengths like with programming and UI design - you wouldn't happen to also have any general design experience as well would you? I only ask because we're just starting to think about putting together a design team to lay out a decent design and specification for the programming team to utilise.

John

John

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on"
simpleid
Prospector

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 02:26:43 pm »

Yes, a lot of my digital work follows suit with 'web 2.0' aesthetics, 'textured' looks, vector art, etc. I wrote games in flash for a short time when studying game design, which is where I really used vector graphics. Over all the style of design I've been developing recently follows suit with how Windows Vista looks (websites and applications). that new age 'professional' standard appeals to me, I believe they finally hired designers that know how to do their jobs. Smiley

In Photoshop I go so far as to make my own brushes/texture sets and when I get my new camera I'll only increase the quality of my own stock. But that would be too artistic for this, but it gives you an idea of the depth I like to approach.

If you tell me what you would like to see a composition of, I'll toss up some samples for you.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 04:45:11 pm by simpleid » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: