Emerald Editor Discussion
July 21, 2017, 03:41:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Site Unavailability  (Read 7510 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: December 02, 2006, 11:22:42 am »

Hello!

We have been experiencing a little downtime over the last 2 days due to a DDoS attack at part of the infrastructure that powers the site - our DNS server (the bit which tells your computer where emeraldeditor.com lives) has been under a torrent of spoofed and fake traffic (something like 400mbps of traffic)

The DNS service has now been restored, although it is still under observation and as such things might be running a little slower than usual.

Any problems, please let me know (my address is sleeping [that-funny-at-sign] myperch.org if you want to email me)

Thanks
Pete

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 12:50:22 pm »

It seems a shame that someone would feel the need to DDoS a site like this.

John

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 01:26:46 pm »

It wasn't actually a DDoS at Emerald Editor itself, nor indeed any of the other sites that are hosted on the same server - it was aimed at the DNS server itself, which I don't run - so in fact it wasn't a site outage of a few sites, it was potentially thousands...

I use EveryDNS for the DNS management of the server, as it's easier than running it myself, and I don't have the facilities to run 2 DNS servers at independent locations myself. EveryDNS has resolved the outage for them in as much as they have filtered down the traffic and can now cope with the inbound traffic, so things might be a little latent or sluggish but everything should work.

I'll keep an eye on this over the next couple of days to see if anything goes wrong. If something nasty does happen, I might be able to set up a single DNS server backup elsewhere to reduce this problem.

But for now, we have a usable system... as always, any problems just shout.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 11:45:45 am »

It seems that the problems haven't fully gone away - the people DDoS'ing EveryDNS are still at it, but fortunately EveryDNS has ramped up its efforts to deal with the issues, and despite a temporary outage today (of about an hour), service is back up again.

As soon as I have further news, I'll post it here.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 10:53:53 am »

Since my last post, I understand from EveryDNS that the attack has now been completely filtered out and that normal service has fully resumed.

Although that was clear a few days ago (it appeared as at 7th December that this was the case), we waited to see if it rose again, but fortunately we have had no further issues.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: