Emerald Editor Discussion
July 23, 2017, 01:51:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Code Folding  (Read 13377 times)
dgeller777
Prospector

« on: November 18, 2006, 06:50:10 pm »

This is the one feature miss dearly when using CE.  Please Please find a way to implement this.
ddlieber
Prospector

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 02:56:07 pm »

I agree...this feature would be very useful!
KjeBja
Senior Miner

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 07:51:07 am »

This is one feature I am not too sure about. As I have CE as my favourite editor, this is not a feature I am used to using. Besides, there are languages where code folding is not very doable. However, I also use Eclipse, and code folding is one of the features found there. At first, I found it very annoying, but I have gotten used to it, and have sort of learned to live with it. I definitely think this should be an option; turn it on if you like it, turn it off if you don't.
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 02:39:36 pm »

There's no doubt that this should be included, given the tons of requests for it.  I know that I personally wouldn't even consider an another editor if it wasn't capable of this.  Nearly every editor released in the last 3+ years can do this.

John Yeung
Senior Miner

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 01:32:15 am »

At first, I found it very annoying, but I have gotten used to it, and have sort of learned to live with it. I definitely think this should be an option; turn it on if you like it, turn it off if you don't.

What is there to live with?  If you don't want your code folded, don't click on the little fold buttons/markers/whatever. Wink  It so happens that I never use code folding, but it never annoys me when it is available.  I find it extremely easy to not click on the fold thingies (though I should mention I am not an Eclipse user, and the folding I am familiar with is little plus and minus signs in the margin, between the text area and the line numbers--maybe some other schemes are more intrusive).

However, I believe it would be easy to make a fold-disabling option.  The easiest might be to have a setting which hides the markers.  For me, the most important setting to have is one which allows all files to be opened with blocks already fully expanded, though I think this is the typical out-of-the-box behavior for applications which have folding.

For people who actually use folding, maybe they would like to have more complicated preferences, like "open all files bigger than 1000 lines with code maximally folded" or "open all files with top-level blocks expanded, but fold the rest" or something like that.

John
KjeBja
Senior Miner

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 07:36:40 am »

What is there to live with?  If you don't want your code folded, don't click on the little fold buttons/markers/whatever. Wink

Sorry, wrong choice of words - blame it on my not-so-fluent English. Embarrassed The thing is, when I first noticed this in Eclipse, I actually did not choose code folding, it just happened. So, what I have to do, is to unfold the code, even though I didn't ask for code folding in the first place. By all means, let's have code folding, but don't make it automatic. Undecided
corelon
Miner

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 01:16:14 pm »

I think eclipse (and visual studio for that matter and most java ides) use automatic folding for code that "you should not normally touch". That means usually code automatically generated by the ide and comments.
I do not really find this bad, as it lets me know exactly where I should start my custom code.

Cheers,

Nick
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 02:34:14 pm »

KjeBja, I think I'm just now understanding what you're saying.  Are you saying you wouldn't want a file to open with the code already folded?  If so, I agree 99%.  My 1% reservation would be an option to have it open folded--or even better--if it could remember what you had folded last time you opened the file. 

It could store the code-folding information along with the bookmark info... wherever that ends up.  Smiley
KjeBja
Senior Miner

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 07:25:20 am »

KjeBja, I think I'm just now understanding what you're saying.  Are you saying you wouldn't want a file to open with the code already folded? 

That's exactly what I mean, Matthew1344.

an option to have it open folded--or even better--if it could remember what you had folded last time you opened the file.

Sounds like a great idea to me!  Grin
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 02:16:52 pm »

actually I think you can tell eclipse what to fold in the options. it's the most user customizable app I've ever seen, but (and here's the plug), as far as IDE's go, I think NetBeans has the most features.

Ankit
Creepy_Carel
Prospector

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 03:25:33 am »

Hi I'm kinda new so if this is a dumb comment I'm sorry Cry. I don't know if you guys have ever used LEDBeta a latex editor I know CE could handle Latex code. One nice feature I've seen there is it highlights the left border of the lines you've edited since the last save. It does it unobtrusively along the column where the plus/minus signs sit.It also only numbers when a carriage return key is used(sometimes anoying too)admittedly this would be a bit useless for C code(except highly conditioned if statements) but might prove to be a nice feature. I'd make this kind of thing an option somewhere. (just saw now the highlighting feature isn't shown in the screen shots)

For Screen Shots: http://www.latexeditor.org/screenshots.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 03:30:04 am by Creepy_Carel » Logged
astro
Prospector

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 07:41:28 pm »

If you click on a bracket { then press ctrl+} the pointer will move to the closing bracket.  So CE already has the ability to detect groups of code...shouldn't be too much harder to implement the folding part.
clement
Prospector

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 06:31:28 pm »

Hi,

I'm new on this forum.
I use Crimson Editor to edit Progress 4GL files.
Currently 1000 lines of "if if then then if then else end" and so on.
Crimson Editor has the best syntax coloring for this language but...

I'd love code folding.  Smiley

a+, =)
-=Clement=-

Configuration :
Windows XP SP3
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: