Emerald Editor Discussion
April 24, 2017, 10:23:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is everyone?  (Read 10600 times)
eXXile
Prospector

« on: October 06, 2006, 03:31:35 pm »

Please don't let this project die!  It is an ambitious task to take on the "re-development" of Crimson Editor, but one that will ultimately be worth it in the end.
Kamots
Miner

Perpetual Student

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:40:40 pm »

This project isn't dead yet... at least not in my school. I have around 3 other people who would gladly help but school is tough. The other day I even did a presentation on the Emerald Editor Project for my business presentations class. I think it did get a few people perked... we'll see. My programming skills still aren't up to par, I'm only just beginning to study what's needed in this kind of project.
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 05:19:56 pm »

I had a serious personal explosion, I wont go into it.
Back again.

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
Kamots
Miner

Perpetual Student

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 06:35:58 am »

And we're glad you are back, we need our mascot. =^(
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 10:59:11 pm »

Hi every!!!

I'm really sorry I haven't been around - thanks for those that emailed wondering where I'd gotten to. Due to a problem with myperch.org, where my email is hosted, I haven't been able to send email (combination of their secure connection certificate is duff and that my ISP bans most traffic on port 25!)

For those who read the other posts on the subject, I didn't made redundant in the end, but I'm now spending 4 hours a day commuting to and from work - not to mention the 8 hours I spend there... I've also been off doing freelancing work in the event that I became redundant, but that hasn't happened.

I'll also be honest: EE has been distinctly out of my thoughts lately, as well as CE in general. It started last month (or maybe September, time goes so quickly) when I posted again asking for volunteers on the CE forum, getting a curt but not unexpected post asking me to stop 'spamming' the forum. I guess after that I just got frustrated and did what I shouldn't have done: thrown the toys out of the pram, so to speak.

I've caught up on all the posts, and everything, and if I'm really honest, I'm not 100% sure I'm cut out for this. I've noticed mentions of proper design documents/structures, and beyond what I learned in college (which, being blunt, wasn't that useful or practical), I've always had a sense of maverickness about projects - I don't design stuff, I just go build, which explains why I've never designed anything as big as EE - I never knew where to start. Give me a programming project in small parts, and I'll turn out something reasonably good (depending on what it is, of course, as some things just seem more easily built than others), but while I've led developments of stuff in the past, it's never been as big or as (hopefully) mainstream, so I guess there is an element of 'bitten off more than could be chewed' in all of this.

I do have a bit more time on my hands now that work has settled, and I have a couple of C books I can read on the train while I'm commuting, but it's not conducive to learning - which is what I'm going to have to do if I want to keep up with it!

The question I opened a bit back about project manager is still open - or can be reopened at least - if anyone's up for it. I think I guessed then that maybe I wasn't right - I didn't vote for anyone in it, and I'm not sure who I would have voted for if I had. I would fully understand if people didn't want me to oversee this project - so if anyone does think I'm not right for it (other than me), please say so - I'd rather people be honest than tactful.

Anyway, thanks for reading,
Pete "Arantor" Spicer

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 12:28:25 am »

If we want to setup the project to succeed we may want to first see who's around and willing to contribute to the project, and then who has what skills and is willing to take a leading role in the project.

As for your ISP problems - take a look at www.ukfsn.org. Use them for two different connections and have always had great service from them plus they also put their profits into funding open source software Smiley.

John
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 12:30:21 am by Soulfish » Logged

John

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 09:35:57 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I can't actually change ISP unfortunately, since I share the net connection with the landlady - and she's a firm committed AOL user. I haven't managed to convince her otherwise yet...

On the subject of what I can provide: I can always provide hosting & bandwidth to the project, plus SVN and other system services, plus testing on both Windows and Linux platforms - not to mention commentary! (As we've already seen...)

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 09:38:06 pm »

It seems to me we continue to have Arantor as a web hoster and as somebody who will and should continue to have input into the direction of the project.  But as he's said, and others have mentioned, the project needs a lead architect if you will.  So who wants the job?

(And I see now Arantor has posted and basically said exactly that.)
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 11:57:57 pm »

A lead architect sounds like a good idea. But would this be the same as the Project Manager? Or would they work with the project manager? It may be better to have the lead architect responsible for the design of the system , but to have the project manager oversee everything/everyone in the project.

John

KjeBja
Senior Miner

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 07:49:07 am »

I agree with you, Soulfish, this project ought to have a lead architect as well as a project manager. If this project isn't going to die even before it is born, we need to get the design in place, so that the programming tasks can be decided, and divided between the developers. I feel that this person has to be someone experienced in the chosen programming language.
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 11:30:19 pm »

I don't necessarily agree that the lead architect needs to be skilled in whatever the chosen language is, more that they need to be skilled at designing systems. The lead developer would need to know the chosen language inside out Smiley. I think what I'm saying is that perhaps we need a separate team that concentrates on the overall design of the project, while the developers implement (which may require some further design decisions on their part) what has been designed.

Obviously there's going to be a fair amount of talk and sharing of ideas between the designers and the developers, and we may even find that the two teams overlap, but by keeping the design team separate to development you ensure that someone that perhaps doesn't know the language chosen but still has a huge array of design skills can still contribute their skills to the project.

John

Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 12:14:32 pm »

Out of interest who's willing to take a role in the project in some form or another?

John

CE2001
Miner

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 01:27:39 pm »

Angry  Blimey!!!

There's more activity on the Crimson Editor site than there is here and we all know that CE is deader than the parrot in the Monty Python's sketch!!!

Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

BB Online UK Ltd
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 02:28:53 pm »

Though the cross-posting isn't necessary, I'll admit that this is a pretty sad place right now.  On the bright side, we have a BEAUTIFUL website!   
Undecided
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 02:24:57 pm »

After talking with Arantor I'd like to put myself forward as a possible candidate for project manager. I've got a whole host of ideas of where I feel we should be going, and hope that we can kickstart the design and development of this great editor.

John

John

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: