Emerald Editor Discussion
August 16, 2017, 04:12:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Automagic tarball generation...  (Read 6259 times)
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« on: August 09, 2006, 09:41:01 pm »

ViewVC says it has "Tarball generation (by tag/branch for CVS, by revision for Subversion)" - is it possible to enable this?  It looks like it is pretty easy to do http://viewvc.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=1492.

This is why I ask.  Most of the time I have to spend on the code is squeezed in at work (where I do the Solaris build, I've been experimenting with a setup script for wxWidgets based on daemons).  I can't reach the svn repository from work, likely due to firewall issue, as at home I am able to connect no problem (I use ZigVersion on Mac OS X).  A few times I've noticed that I'm a couple revisions behind, and then it's either grab each file one by one off the web interface, or trust my memory to remember to sync the svn once I get home. 

It's not a big deal now, but it'd be nice once development becomes more active (and I seem to recall at least one other thread where this would have benefited someone else...)

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 11:33:54 pm »

This is something I have been looking into for the future... as the thread you point to discusses, issues arise when the checkins are more frequent due to non-atomic transactions and no locking of sorts.

What I am thinking about doing is a nightly build (a la SourceForge), which 'svn co's the repository, then tar/gzips it and then moves it somewhere into the document_root, perhaps to http://svn.emeraldeditor.com/ somewhere.

Does anyone have a particular time they'd prefer it to be built? Looking through the logs, EE.com gets least hits at 5.30-6.30am GMT (0.30am-1.30am EST, where the server is based)

I can add a cronjob to pull the stuff from the SVN nightly, but given Real Life (TM) and Work Life (TM) intrusions it may not be for a few days - I'm still poking around Bugdar as well, trying to theme that...!

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 11:48:38 pm »

Well, I'm finally in a position to polish off the script for this.

I'm aiming at a script to run at midnight on the server (GMT -7 hours) and produce daily dumps of the different branches of SVN (not website, though) in both .zip and tar.gz forms, also with the applicable MD5 idents. That said, only /trunk has anything in it at the moment, so it'll simply be emerald-YYYYMMDD-trunk.tar.gz as the output file.

So, my questions are - before I finalise this script:
  • Is midnight server-time (GMT -7 hours) a suitable time for this? That means it'll run at 7am in the UK (on GMT).
  • Both .zip and .tar.gz outputs, or just .tar.gz?
  • Is it worth archiving daily dumps? I'm planning to have daily dumps for 1 rolling month.

I'm asking now before I deploy so that the script is perfect before it gets busy. (For the curious, it's written in PHP since I haven't gotten enough used to Perl or Python yet - PHP can quite happily run in CLI mode)

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: