Emerald Editor Discussion
July 23, 2017, 01:51:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Support for files wider than 32768 characters  (Read 5072 times)
Sir_Derlin
Prospector

« on: August 07, 2006, 06:06:38 am »

Hi everyone,

I hope this one is obvious, but since it is a current limitation in CE,  I wanted to post it here to be a "feature" of EE.  (CE may have a limit of "words" instead of characters, but anyway...)

From time to time I have to manipulate large matrices of data in text format.  Unfortunately, CE has the above mentioned limitation,  which causes extremely wide lines to be completely uneditable or even viewable (sometimes it will even crash).  This is actually one of the only reasons I keep TextPad around (which handles the huge text files flawlessly), the other being for simple file comparisons,  which I hope to see in a plugin,  if not in the core codebase.  I've started moving my coworkers from TextPad to CE coworker by coworker, as CE's block edit or columnar mode is vastly superior to TextPad, IMHO, which is very handy for languages like VHDL, but really wide text files need to be processed by use from time to time, so TextPad will be sticking around for a while.  On the other hand, CE does a fine job with files with many, many lines, though I'll sometimes run out of digits in the line numbers. Smiley
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 05:06:20 am »

I'll look into this and see if there's a limit in the current build.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 12:50:32 pm »

If there is, it should be in Scintilla itself rather than in anything else (IIRC, wxSTC is a wrapper for Scintilla).

Also, it may be worth seeing how exactly the lines are stored because I gather that it is due to the line storage mechanism in CE that prevents it searching for newlines in a string (you cannot in CE, no matter how hard you try, run a regexp search/replace on the newline character)

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Wahooney
Miner

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 08:06:25 pm »

...due to the line storage mechanism in CE that prevents it searching for newlines in a string (you cannot in CE, no matter how hard you try, run a regexp search/replace on the newline character)

I hope this limitation won't rear it's ugly head in EE. Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: