Emerald Editor Discussion
March 23, 2017, 09:15:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Offshoring.....  (Read 4762 times)
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« on: August 03, 2006, 08:15:54 pm »

Well, here I sit.

It seems my group, Central Admin, which went thru one offshoring at the beginning of the year (which left 4 people here in Houston and had 3 people in Canada) is now going thru another.

There will be only 2 left here in Houston and 5 in Canada from what it seems.

This I have gathered from people I have talked to.  Not even from the bosses yet.  Amazing how when they are doing this, they dont bother to take the damn time to tell the rest of the group.

This is going to be great for me *sarcasm*  This means I will have to pick up all the slack in Houston....
Oh joy....

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 01:13:06 pm »

That just sucks, but, unfortunately, it's becoming more and more common.  Best of luck to ya...

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 07:01:11 pm »

We will see...I am still employed.
I will just be the Customer Focal point since I am the most technical of the former group.

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 07:52:43 pm »

A more formal (or is it less formal? I forget) title for "Customer Focal Point" is "Official Whipping Boy."  I don't envy you.  Sad

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 10:33:07 pm »

Neither do I.

I'm actually in a similar boat at the moment - I work for a mortgage lender in the UK, who was - 3 years ago - bought out by a major American investor. Said investor also owns another - previously rival - firm in the UK.

I'm based in one firm, 10 miles north of the coast, while the bigger, better known other company (now a sister firm, by the way) is in the capital, 40 miles north of me.

They said there were no plans to merge the two, but hey, guess what? 2 months ago they formally announced the closure of our company's office and the move of everybody up to the capital to all work in the same building.

So, we're going to run 2 completely different mortgage lending brands, with two completely separate product ranges covering different types of applicant from the same building. Heck, no, let's run them from the same floor of the same open plan office.

Actually. Let's do even better. Let's unify the backend system so anybody can answer any query about anything. Let's migrate 8-10 years of account data from 3 different systems into one new, unproved, untested system.

Does this sound like fun?

I'm sorry I sound so bitter, but I understand exactly how you must feel right now. "Customer Focal point"? Does that mean "Target for incoming ****"?

Still, while I'm going through the redundancy paperwork (which is why I still haven't themed Bugdar yet, sorry), I managed to get one parting shot in with the chief operating officer (i.e. senior senior senior, above our company senior beancounter). Let me clarify one thing - the project to make the transition is called Project Compass.

Me: Phew. Glad I caught you, I have a question I didn't want to make public.
Him: Sure. Shoot.
Me: Project Compass: is it true that it was named because the board of managers who approved and named it did so because they're lacking direction and needed focus on how to move north?
Him: ...

Punchline to all this? If I make the transition in my current role, with bonus, retention package, travel grant for first year, etc. I earn max of (figure). If I go do the same job at the sister company which is, after all, in the same building, doing just about the same admin work, I'd start on (figure) and be eligible for a bonus taking me higher, rather than maxing out at that. It's not even funny any more.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: