Emerald Editor Discussion
March 28, 2017, 04:57:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wxAUI and it's coolness.  (Read 11090 times)
Wahooney
Miner

« on: July 24, 2006, 11:34:48 pm »

You guys could use wxAUI to make more advanced UI functions easier, panel docking, etc. You can find it here: http://www.kirix.com/community/wxaui.html.

The demo is pretty cool and I think it could be useful. Wink
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 04:02:05 am »

It is certainly worth a look; however, only if we can use it to implement required features with less code - remember one of our main goals is to be mean and lean (well, at the very least lean).  "Code Bloat" is our four letter word around here.  That being said, the following two entries from their FAQ are interesting:

It appears that the wxAUI code size is quite small, how did you pull that off?
We have tried to keep wxAUI as tight and understandable as possible. In addition, we've tried to utilize as much wxWidgets machinery as possible. For example, wxAUI's layout engine uses the wxWidgets sizer mechanism to layout the frames.

Does wxAUI employ a plug-in architecture?
No. We are concerned that a plug-in architecture would increase the size of the code dramatically and make the toolkit more complex. That said, wxAUI does offer a dock art mechanism that enables developers to implement their own drawing functions, such as adding a shaded gradient to a docked-frame caption bar.

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
Wahooney
Miner

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 07:33:54 am »

It appears that they've actually added wxAUI to the CVS version of wxWidgets now, which I think is a good sign Wink
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 06:12:26 pm »

Well, I have no doubt that wxAUI is cool. The screenshots alone tell me that.

And on the C*de Bl*at issue (we dare not name it aloud lest it creep in! Smiley), it's only 290K of source, which shouldn't be too huge when built - in theory.

However, I have seen that some people turn off/hide the toolbars, so perhaps having swishier toolbars isn't something we need, necessarily. I haven't investigated wxAUI fully, but I don't know how many/if any of its features would actually benefit EE... most of the GUIs we will be building are straightforward GUIs, tool dialogues etc. and don't really need uber-cool features.

Thoughts, anyone?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Wahooney
Miner

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 06:51:31 pm »

Crimson Editor has quite the File window that docks & floats. I also think it would be cool to be able to split your working area, ala Visual Studio, to contain another tabstrip so that you can have two different files visible at the same time. Of course once the scripting is included the possibilitys are limitless Cheesy

Yeah, I'm pimping, but it's for a good cause Wink

awmyhr
Senior Miner

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 09:49:55 pm »

I see your point, there are those who like their GUI's with a little bit of flare.  I think, however, that this is something we can "play" with once development is much further along.  As an Open Source project, nothing really stops anyone from coming along and tinkering with this with a fork, but I think the main project needs to focus on the first few milestones before getting to this point (IMHO)...

Wahooney
Miner

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 09:52:03 pm »

99% behind you on that one, there are far more important things to deal with at the moment... just something to consider for the future.
Kamots
Miner

Perpetual Student

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 09:05:51 pm »

I can imagine how people would use a sort of "Deluxe" version of EE at home and then carry around a lighter version on a USB pen or just at work/school. The Deluxe edition we could have come bundled with all these bells and whistles but the light would be our true product. An editor that's as small as possible, that can run anywhere, and still be functional.

If we ever do design a plug-in architecture for EE, perhaps we could have it use wxAUI by default if it's present, and the regular interface if it's not. A lot of the students here who use editors also have need of FTP... imagine a small floating window that we can use to view FTP status or even have buttons to connect (and stay connected), to update the source file, etc. We could do a lot more jazzier things with this, but isn't the regular wxWidgets capable of enough by default?
Wahooney
Miner

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 09:18:57 pm »

Thing is that by the sound of it wxAUI will be included in the next stable release of wxWidgets, it's in the CVS version already.
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 04:03:39 am »

The two-edition thing sounds like a lot of work from my perspective. Because that means more deciding what's key and what isn't. Plus, it means that we'd have to be a lot more careful and meticulous when adding a feature to make sure that in a separate build it could be removed without errors.

Besides, the current build (for OS X) without stripping wxWidgets is only 10.1 MB--which can easily fit on thumb drives.
Kamots
Miner

Perpetual Student

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 09:43:21 pm »

You're right as always daemon, it is a lot of work. Maybe this might be something to consider down the road if it's still in demand. AND we have more developers working with us.  Tongue  You're doing a great job with it already and I don't want to give you anymore work than necessary, I was just brainstorming I guess.
awmyhr
Senior Miner

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 10:07:05 pm »

keep those brainstorms coming, all ideas are welcome, even if they don't make it into this project...

daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 04:48:46 am »

By all means keep brain storming Smiley. I'm just tossing in my feedback, which of course can be overridden or ignored based on demand.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: