Emerald Editor Discussion
March 29, 2017, 11:51:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Request: file comparison  (Read 6243 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: April 27, 2006, 12:26:41 pm »

A post has appeared in the CE forum requesting the ability to compare files.

It is a feature that is found in higher-end tools, and shouldn't bloat up EE too much. I am aware that people have suggested about too many features slowing it down, so it's more of a general suggestion than a must-have feature.

It is a nice feature, though, and it would tie in nicely with being a plugin, as has been discussed elsewhere in the forum.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 10:14:54 pm »

As fas as the comparison tool.
Why not have the comparison aspect actually part of a separate executable that is called.  Thus not bloting the actual editor with its code?

*I am not a programmer at all, just sometyhing that popped in my head, hope it was a useful thought*
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 02:20:41 am »

I use a compare tool quite frequently myself but I think to do one properly might be more than we think. Compare something simple like the compare tool in textpad vs beyondcompare.

Maybe make it an external tool that can be 'hosted' in an EE window, or just called opened in it's own. If we do go with our own then I'd definitly say, separate plugin or, as was discussed, in a more advanced/full featured version.

Dave
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 03:16:58 am »

Quote from: dsvick
I use a compare tool quite frequently myself but I think to do one properly might be more than we think. Compare something simple like the compare tool in textpad vs beyondcompare.

Maybe make it an external tool that can be 'hosted' in an EE window, or just called opened in it's own. If we do go with our own then I'd definitly say, separate plugin or, as was discussed, in a more advanced/full featured version.
I agree...
Assuming the file compare is really a huge addition, I say split it into its own file, if not include it...

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 01:04:45 pm »

It will be quite a large addition to the package... for example the diffutils package is 760KB of compressed information (diffutils-2.8.tar.gz), so a plugin will be the best route.

We can decide how to implement that once the plugin system becomes up for real implementation.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 01:40:16 pm »

Quote from: Arantor
It will be quite a large addition to the package... for example the diffutils package is 760KB of compressed information (diffutils-2.8.tar.gz), so a plugin will be the best route.

We can decide how to implement that once the plugin system becomes up for real implementation.
I understand, we just need to make sure that we start the backend being designed with a plugin system in mind...so re-work is not having to be done...

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
SnakE
Miner

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 03:27:29 pm »

I'm not much concerned about the comparison feature slowing down the editor (very unlikely) or making it too big.  I'm more afraid of the comparison mode will be not what I'm expecting from such a tool, like it always happens with project feature in different editors including CE.  I'm used to call the diff tool from a command line, and I'm comparing directories quite often.  I can't imagine a handy interface which allowed that from within the editor without having to browse directory trees and such.
KjeBja
Senior Miner

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 06:52:55 am »

I use WinMerge as a compare tool, and am quite happy with that. I donít really feel the need to have such a tool included in EE, as I most probably would do comparisons in a separate window anyway. From my point of view, the only reason to have a compare tool as a part of the editor, would be that it would save me the hassle of the extra installation when I move on to the next customer. Btw, WinMerge is an editor too, but I have never considered using it as that.

I noticed quite some time ago that I had written WinDiff instead of WinMerge; an error I frequently make. But WinDiff is definitely not in the same league as WinMerge, so pardon me for not correcting this error until now. Undecided
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 07:03:40 am by KjeBja » Logged
Crackavelli
Prospector

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 08:26:37 pm »

The nicest diff tool I've seen integrated with the editor is PSPad, which allows you to diff the version of file in memory with the version on disk.  Other than that, I will use an external diff program.
Dave
Prospector

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 08:46:13 pm »

PSPad and ConText both have good file compare tools, as far as ConText is concerned it certainly doesn't slow it down or make it bloated. I do find compare useful particularly when trying to keep track of changes I've made to a large piece of code. So I'd like it either embodied in the editor or as a plugin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: