Emerald Editor Discussion
September 23, 2017, 05:34:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CE in wine  (Read 6131 times)
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« on: July 23, 2006, 05:41:49 pm »

By the way, for those who have ever wondered but never tried, CE 3.7 runs just fine in Linux under Wine 0.9.17.  The only trick is there are two .dll's you have to copy from your Windows computer to the wine windows/system32 directory.  Also, if you download them off the internet, while they are both hosted by www.dll-files.com, the one is out of date, so just make sure you download from another site.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 07:17:06 pm »

I haven't tried this, but it sounds like an interesting idea. (Not quite within the scope of EE, perhaps, but maybe we could try running EE builds on WINE to see if they work)

Out of interest, would you mind confirming which DLLs it needs? If we do get our hands on the CE source code, it might be useful to know (I'm still hoping!)

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 12:48:19 am »

Wine has a number of Windows dll's already embedded.  The dll's I mentioned before are two more that CE needs that have not already been included in Wine.  In other words, CE may use more than two dll's and I don't know which.

The two I needed extra were msvcirt.dll (not to be confused with msvcrt.dll) and mfc42.dll.

mytreo
Miner

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 01:08:16 pm »

For anyone else searching and finding this thread about Wine/CE... I found that crimson editor 3.70 works in CrossOver Office Linux 6.2.0 using a windows 98 bottle. I needed the above two DLLs (msvcirt.dll and mfc42.dll) to make it work but found that the mfc42.dll from www.dll-files.com did not work and I had to get a newer version from a Windows XP SP2 installation.
per9000
Miner

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 11:14:35 am »

I also got it running via wine (in ubuntu) by copying the two dll's from my windows parition Smiley

/Per

* crimson-editor-wine.png (129.89 KB, 640x534 - viewed 688 times.)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 08:33:01 pm »

For those interested, 3.72 beta builds should work fine too - I was using Ubuntu 6.10's build of WINE and this worked fine for doing this sort of thing, provided the relevant libraries were available.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: