Emerald Editor Discussion
September 25, 2017, 12:30:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling All Programmers  (Read 43825 times)
MinstrelMike
Prospector

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 04:25:56 am »

Arantor ...

I'm actually responding to TWO posts, also the one about "Working Builds" of May 26 ...

I do have some experience with C/C++ (Visual C++ "Professionally", and others as an
occasional hobby) ... 

I've been using CrimsonEditor for over a year now, it proves to be most usefull with
updating websites (if you're like me, you like to tinker with raw HTML code sometimes),
as it will do the FTP directly (and as I've JUST discovered, ALSO back up locally!).

Anyway, thought I'd drop by and try to take a quick look at where you guys are headed
so far, see if maybe I could contribute.  Never worked on any open source stuff before,
but I have used a few different CVS systems. 

I have to admit, (admitedly, after only a half hour), I'm lost as to how to actually get
ahold of either the entire source to attempt my own build, or even better, a copy of
your "working build" for Windows. 

Is there a straight-forward way somehow to get the working build for Window? 

From where I stand at the moment, it appears that I'd need a "SVN" client ... Looking at the
"browser" based changes led me to "ViewVC", which requires "CVSNT" ...  "Subversion"
requires Python to run, and appears that the "client" is only command-line ...

Looking through some at "svn.emeraldeditor.com/viewvc.cgi", I don't see any obvious way
to actually download the ENTIRE current source tree.  Also, "Anonymous checkout/download
can be done simply by connecting your SVN client ..."   Are there any easily available SVN
clients out there?  Maybe you could put a link to one?

Is starting to look like one of those "if you can't even figure out HOW to get the source code,
we don't want you tinkering with it!" situations!  Maybe valid!

I'll keep reading around in the forums a bit, see if I've got Python still floating around somewhere.

Seems like fantasic idea, I hope I can maybe contribute someday!

Mike
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 09:23:50 am »

ViewVC is simply a browser. You probably want to get your hands on an easy-to-use client called TortoiseSVN. When you download and install this, you check out the repository path "svn://svn.emeraldeditor.com/trunk" and that should take care of downloading the current HEAD source tree.

As for building on Windows, I can't help you there as much because I'm the Mac guy.
MinstrelMike
Prospector

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 07:29:41 pm »

Thanks, daemon!

>ViewVC is simply a browser. You probably want to get your hands on an easy-to-use client called TortoiseSVN.

Gotcha!  If I'd done a bit more research "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_(software)" for example, things would have started making more sense ...

I'm going to look for a more "lightweight" client at this point, maybe one of the Java-based ...  I'm working under a dial-up connection, and TortoiseSVN at >7MB is just too big for now (>25hours to download @ ~5Kps).

>When you download and install this, you check out the repository path "svn://svn.emeraldeditor.com/trunk"

Hopefully, I'll get back in that direction soon ...

>As for building on Windows, I can't help you there as much because I'm the Mac guy.

Well, I'd hoped, for a first look-see, NOT to have to build anything on my own at all! 

Still not sure if an SVN client will allow me to get ahold of the "working builds" for Windows or not.

Are executables, etc. included in the repository? 

Ok, I'm gonna climb my soapbox for just a minute (promise, won't be too long Smiley

So far, my experience digging deeper into one open-source project here, is that you need a high-speed internet connection just to get started!  Which I don't have ... 

This may be a platform-dependent statement, since I think a lot of the Linux distros include a lot of development tools (been a while since I looked at one, but I'd have problems downloading one of those also).

Of course, I'm aware that almost NO "contemporary" software-development tools of which I'm aware are particularly "light-weight" or "small" ...  (I could get going on Borland's original "Turbo" series ... )

I've never worked on any open source projects yet.  Have worked on any number of "professional" developments, of various sizes and scopes.  Note, "professional" here is NOT intended to imply any "quality" issues, only that someone was paying for things in general. 

My only distiction is that in my experience, when someone was paying, there was cash for the usually commercial tools on CD's to install, instead of having to download them ...

Ok, enough soapbox, my conclusion is that although this seems like a very attractive project to get involved with, I'm not sure when of if I'd ever be able to do so, not being able to easily get the required tools, etc. ...

We'll just have to see!

Mike
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 09:04:35 pm »

You are correct, of the major operating systems (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux), only Windows does not generally come with development tools "in the box" (thought there are some few Linux distributions which do not include dev tools on the install media).  Unfortuantely, doing development tends to demand more of your resources then you are used to (though broadband may not be a requierment, it certainly helps).  I guess I'd recommend a trip down to the local book store, as many (C++) programming books include CDs with compilers and other dev tools.

However, if you are looking for binary builds, you will be disappointed.  If/when we start providing "working builds", they will likely be as zip files in the downloads section of the website, as the svn repository is not the appropriate place for such things.  All that is in there is the source for the project (and you still have to retreive the source for the support libraries).  As we are still in pre-alpha-alpha, you will unfortunately have to hang on a bit before you see the binary distributions...

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
MinstrelMike
Prospector

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 12:30:34 am »

Well, I do have several Windows/x86 development tools, since I haven't done much of it hobby-wise at home lately, can't really recall exactly which ones are still actively installed at the moment.  Probably VS6, maybe Delphi, maybe lcc-types ...  I recently moved, and while some stuff is still installed/archived on one or more PC's, the original CD's that I'd really rather use for a clean install are mostly packed away SOMEwhere!

While pretty much every contemporary dev environment tends to be HUGE, it seems to me so far, that the open-source projects like this one require some tools that can only be downloaded, and are still large.

I'll just get back to lurking in the formums and see more about the development environment and tools used here.  If I can get a SVN client going, maybe I'll pull the source just to see what it looks llke.

Thanks again!
frznchckn
Prospector

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 03:18:06 pm »

I've been using Crimson Editor for two years now and have loved it!  When I found out about EE I just knew I had to get involved somehow.  I'm a BSEE with one semester remaining.  I have used C/C++ on and off for ~5 years.  I may not have as much experience as some other programmers (in regards to large-scale app dev) but I'm definitely willing to learn. 

I'm not quite sure how you are running the dev work but I would probably do best if given some specs and told to go write a fcn or something similar?  Not sure if that will work or not, but please let me know.  Also, I do have some experience in technical writing and would be interested in assisting in the documentation aspect of the project.
bdcrazy
Prospector

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006, 04:25:47 am »

I had just started using crimson editor about a year ago and really like it.  Wish i could have changed a few things or add a few things and tried to see if i could sponsor or put in some requests, only to find out that crimson editor hadn't been worked on for a while and then heard about this project and thought I would love to help out.  I have many years of C++ experience and a couple years of opengl programming.  However, I'm not sure where would be a good place to start, nor how everything is being put together.

If anybody could direct me or let me know I'd love to help.

BDCrazy
beefsack
Prospector

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 07:59:47 am »

just wanted to pop in to say a big thanks for starting this project Smiley stumbled across it today, ive been using crimson editor for years now mainly for php work i do, but i do a bit of c++ in it too.  i'll be sure to help out if i can find the time Smiley best of luck to everyone involved, it will be cool when people are developing emerald editor using emerald editor :p

BlackTea
Miner

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 10:08:29 pm »

Long time C++ coder and Crimson editor user.  I'll check out the source code and check the current state.
ZeppeTheFake
Prospector

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 10:12:12 pm »

It seems quite blocked...    Embarrassed

nubz0r
beene
Prospector

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 09:37:38 pm »

Hi all.
I just registered and i would really like to join your EE project.
I have about 6 months C++ programming experience.
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Gem Cutter

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2006, 05:24:23 pm »

Welcome to the project!

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2006, 01:49:01 pm »

Hi Everyone,

Long time CE user and after finding this project decided that I'd like to help Smiley. Many years programing experience both on my own and in large teams (and with many languages) + many years studying Computer Science. First time working on an open source project so hopefully I can give a helping hand to this project Smiley.

John

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on"
CE2001
Miner

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 01:24:33 pm »

Angry  Blimey!!!

There's more activity on the Crimson Editor site than there is here and we all know that CE is deader than the parrot in the Monty Python's sketch!!!

Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

BB Online UK Ltd
masidani
Prospector

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2006, 08:54:24 am »

Hi all,

I'd like to contribute to the EE project in any way I can.  I'm a heavy CE user and wouldn't like to see this project die.  I'm an academic and professional software engineer with 20+ years programming experience including lots of C++.  I'd love to see a linux port, btw.

Thanks

Simon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: