Emerald Editor Discussion
September 25, 2017, 12:41:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: plug-in and script system  (Read 5489 times)
alpha
Developers
Senior Miner

« on: June 18, 2006, 05:09:38 am »

I think we should have both, a plug-in system that uses C/C++ in form of a dynamic link library and a script system e.g. LUA that offers users to write "extensions"... this makes it easy for us to write fast and powerful plug-ins e.g FTP or HEX view and it also gives users a easy tool for there needs e.g add a calculator.
To install such a plug-in you just copy the dll in a specific folder and start emerald editor... to uninstall just delete the dll file.
To install such a extensions you just copy the script in a specific folder and start emerald editor... to uninstall just delete the script file.
This also helps to keep the core of emerald editor OS independent, features that can not be coded OS independent at the present time can be created as a plug-in first.

Markus Schulz
WurstFromHell
Prospector

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 10:46:20 pm »

I second that idea. Sounds really good. Any other opinions on that?

To hijack this thread a bit: is there any mission statement for development available?

If not, what do you think of introducing golden rules like:
- keeping the codebase lean and mean (borrowed from someone else here Smiley)
- developing as platform-independent as possible to support various architectures like windows, linux, mac os, solaris ...
- a robust core providing basic functionality and extensions (maybe even packages of them) for further features.

Comments are welcome!
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 11:54:07 pm »

Here's a twist... What if the scripting system IS a plug-in?   (I'm only joking if it's ridiculous.)  :-)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 05:23:16 pm »

On mission statements: I have been meaning to write that up for a bit.

On plugins: Nice idea Wink
Being serious about plugins, though, it couldn't be a plugin otherwise how would it understand itself?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 03:29:55 pm »

I was referring back to alpha's original post where he suggested both a plugin system and a scripting system.  What I meant was, if there is a C++ library plugin system AND a scripting system (using something like LUA), then it seems that the scripting system could be written later as a plugin.  This would mean that the plugin system could be a critical path item and the scripting system could follow later. 

(I know that many people might not like the absense of a scripting system in the first release, but I'd rather see the first release one-scripting-system sooner instead of waiting a long time for every bell and whistle to be released together.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: