Emerald Editor Discussion
September 19, 2017, 06:10:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Syntax window  (Read 3918 times)
KjeBja
Senior Miner

« on: June 16, 2006, 06:41:24 am »

In CE, it is possible to open these windows in addition to the main window: Directory, Project and Output. I think it would be a great feature if one could open a syntax window too. This window could overlap the directory and project window, just like those two do in CE. The window should have two parts; the syntax itself, and above that, a drop down list where one could choose the appropriate syntax. A feature like this is found in other editors, for instance EditPlus.
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 04:02:13 pm »

That's an interesting idea.  Might be best left as a plug-ing, though.  I don't know how many people would want it (though I might be interested), and I think the developers have a full plate already.
KjeBja
Senior Miner

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 06:20:51 am »

Itís no big deal to me; a plug-in will probably work fine. This will, of course, depend on how user-friendly the plug-in system becomes. With the high goal the team has set itself, I have great expectations (donít we all?).
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 11:19:10 pm »

I haven't seen EditPlus, but I have the feeling that we might be bordering on the "text editor vs. IDE" great debate again.

I'm going to have to go away and have a look at all of our competition, aren't I?  Wink

The other issue is that all of the data has to be available for the editor to work with, which means that you're going to be building massive datastructures (an XML syntax containing the data on PHP5's functions, plus parameters, plus descriptions as seen in Bluefish, takes up around 1.2MB - you can quickly imagine how large EE's repository will become)

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: