Emerald Editor Discussion
September 19, 2017, 06:07:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Find in files  (Read 5521 times)
KjeBja
Senior Miner

« on: June 14, 2006, 08:17:24 am »

I make the assumption that this function will be based upon the one in CE, so I won’t list the obvious ones. Anyway, here is my wish list:

• Keep history of file types and folders; possibly even “Find what”.
  • Extend number of result lines – too limited in CE (max 1024 (minus 1, 2 or 3 for header and footer)), at least as long as it is not possible to limit number of result lines per file (see below). Max number could perhaps be configurable?
  • If it is not possible to extend number of result lines, then the search should stop when max number is reached.
  • Make it possible to choose whether all occurences of the search string is to be shown, or just one per file (indicate no. of occurences in each file). Once you know which files the string is found in, you can always search the individual file, if need be.
  • Limit number of files to be searched by giving part of the file name in addition to file extension.
  • Option: Search comment lines (Yes/No/Only comment lines).
  • Don’t show names of skipped files (was supposed to be a feature in CE 3.71).

I was going to add an option for entering more than one file extension in “File type”, but I just noticed that this is indeed possible in CE. Just goes to show – there’s more to CE than meets the eye!
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 02:23:16 pm »

I think search will ultimately become my baby, so I'll answer these:

1. Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?
2. 1024 is definitely too small of a maximum. I at first wanted to say "unlimited" but this could lead to an infinite-loop syndrome.
4. This sounds nice.
5. Again, this is nice, but far more complex. I'll look into adding this (though it probably wouldn't make it into 1.0).
6. I'm doubtful that this would make it in as a stock feature, but could easily become a plugin.
7. Sounds fine to me.
Dave
Prospector

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 08:59:20 pm »

Really, I would have thought that find in files would be regarded as a Key feature for any half decent text editor.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 10:58:34 pm »

I think I may have been a little unclear about moving this topic to the Wanted section.

I agree that Find In Files will be useful, and it will almost certainly included in the base distribution but for the purposes of moving forward, it isn't an absolutely critical feature 'right now'. Before we can implement it, we will have to go back and make sure Find/Replace is implemented first of all, since it will probably (speaking as a programmer) be different calls to the same underlying code - the Find/Replace should in theory use the same basic search code that FiF would use.

If nothing else it would ensure that, say, regular expressions, are handled identically.

In fact, having had a poke at it, why should it not be extended to be Find/Replace in Files? If it's using the same underlying regexp code to find/replace in a single file, why shouldn't it be available for per-directory? The extra overhead shouldn't be too large either.

Going back to the original point, it's probably a 1.0 release feature, but not a 0.1 Milestone sort of feature.

Thoughts, anyone?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
KjeBja
Senior Miner

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 07:18:16 am »

Keep history of file types and folders; possibly even “Find what”.
daemon wrote: Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?

In CE, the first time the FiF window is opened in a session, the ‘Find what’ box is empty, the ‘File type’ box is filled with the value ‘*.*’, and the current directory path is shown in the ‘Folder’ box (unless an initial working directory is set in the preferences, then this path is shown). All three have drop down lists, but the lists are empty. During the session, the used search strings, file types and folders are added to the lists. What I would like, is to have the possibility to keep these lists, so that they can be used in the next session. ‘Find what’ might not be very useful, so it is OK if there is no history from previous sessions in this list.

I hope this helps.
Harry Wood
Prospector

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 01:45:37 pm »

"Don’t show names of skipped files"  - I agree with that point. CE says 'skipped binary file blah blah'. Which is a distraction from the search results. I imagine it might be useful information, if you were expecting it to search some binary files, but 99% of the time, the skipping is desirable, and you dont need to know which files it is skipping. Maybe just say "4 binary files skipped" at the bottom.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: