Emerald Editor Discussion
September 20, 2017, 10:40:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: All Quiet on the Western Front  (Read 6708 times)
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« on: June 14, 2006, 12:19:12 am »

Wow, is today a holiday and nobody told me?  It's ghostly quiet in here.  I'm hoping that means everyone is slaving away at creating the best text editor EVER (like anybody could even know that).

I had to jump in here and say something just so the developers wouldn't get the idea that nobody cares.  If this thing turns out as good as it sounds I'll have to get my wife to send you guys some of her banana bread... but don't ask for the recipe--it's not open source.  Smiley
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 05:02:51 pm »

Heh, I think we are at a grey area where we need a little direction and then of course it could simply be a busy day.

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 07:14:01 pm »

Well, there are a few things that we need to get straightened out, and I think a lot of it is because we're at an impasse... *looks round nervously* Hang on, isn't that my job to sort?  Wink

Seriously, though, a lot of the decisions that need to be made need input from the programmer(s) that will work on it; I'm still learning C++ so I wouldn't be able to really input much in the way of code etc. I have also been real busy with work lately, working late and so on and I've had a major project which has come to its deadline rather quickly...

A lot of the really crucial decisions will affect the coding and since daemon has done a lot of the modifications to date, I'd really like his input before making concrete decisions.

I think I know how the decisions will turn out and I can see how/why and I'm likely to agree, but I do need his comments about them, e.g. plugin language and implementation being the main one, since he is currently the main coder.

The syntax format debate is still rumbling around in my mind, and especially with respect to exact implementation details. I'm still trying to write a structure that will cover most syntaxes without any fuss, and will be quickly parsable by a machine (human readability is nice, but high machine readability will be faster)

I'm still playing with this one at the moment.

I think the autocomplete debate is settled for the moment, though, but I know that what we do with the above syntax file will be a major factor in this, so I want to write something that promotes an autocompletion facility (not code completion, particularly, see the Syntax forums for these comments) without being a huge issue.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 06:32:15 pm »

I think we also need to attract more developers.  From what I can tell, we have two good ones: alpha (who is busy with RealLife(tm)) and daemon (who is currently on vacation).  Not meaning to slight anyone, and correct me if I am wrong, but from what I can tell, the rest of the people who have indicated interest in helping with the code on this project have proclaimed themselves as 'beginners' (myself included).

We'll need more experienced developers to strengthen the core dev team, as it is entirely possible (and understandable) that alpha and/or daemon may never get enough time, or simply loose interest in the project.

That being said, I'm presenting a problem without really haveing a solution. 

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 08:22:05 pm »

Yeah, I'm a beginner a best.  I'm not a very experienced programmer, and I haven't used C++ at all.  I originally volunteered to do whatever I could to help with the development, but it became obvious quickly that there were was much better help available.

What's the best book or resource around for an unexperienced programmer to use to get familiar with C++ ?

Also, what tools are must-haves for C++ development?
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 08:44:02 pm »

Well, for developing with C++, it really depends what environment you're using and platform and so on.

If using Windows, most developers tend to flock towards either Microsoft Visual C++ or Borland C++ Builder (and related family)

Linux/Unix tend to use GCC predominantly (although GCC is available for Windows)

I don't know about Macs, although they too have GCC to play with.

All the builds done so far, as far as I'm aware, are done using GCC.

As for a resource, I'm reading Learn C++ in 24 Hours by SAMS Publishing. Although I must say 24 hours is a bit of a tall order... I'm finding it hard going at best, although I have other things (such as Real Life(tm) in the way)

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 09:05:07 pm »

For Macs, you install the DevTools, which include gcc as part of the overall Xcode package.  command-line gcc on any platform (you can get it for Windows through cygwin/mingw32) is probably the best tool to use to learn c++, as w/an IDE you likely end up learning more about the particular platfrom/tool then the language itself.

I just picked up "C++ Weekend Crash Course" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764538306/sr=8-1/qid=1150401601/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0067045-7491122?%5Fencoding=UTF8 for super cheap on clearence at MicroCenter, we'll see if I'm any better come Monday  Wink

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: