Emerald Editor Discussion
July 25, 2017, 01:45:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum reorganisation  (Read 6156 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: June 09, 2006, 09:23:16 pm »

As everyone has probably noticed, I've tidied(!) up the forums a bit with child forums and moved a few threads around.

As I hope it is all nice and logical, I didn't leave redirection topics everywhere, which would have added a lot of bulk to the current forums.

What does everyone think?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Nick
Miner

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 10:46:53 pm »

hum...  Not sure about the use of child boards, I thought that the original structure was fine.

eg, do we really need a "really off topic" board under the "off topic" board?

I've nothing to say about the logic in the hierarchy itself but imho a shallow tree (when possible) makes for easier navigation.
(but I'm biased because I haven't yet worked on the presentation of child boards in the template I'm working on Wink )
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 11:17:07 pm »

Personally, I thought the forums were layed out fine. 

I don't think the "child forums" are really necessary unless/until we're seeing 1K posts or more a day, and then the topics will grow organically (in other words, we'll see what subtopics are big enough to create child forums for).  At this point, I believe it just becomes micro-management to put posts into the correct forum.

Additionally, I do not see the value/logic in a "really off topic" board when we already have an "off topic" board (other then for the sake of humor). 

Not to be negative, as I do believe you are doing a great job with the project as a whole.  In conclusion, though, I'd say we should approach the forums with the same philosophy as EE itself, lean, to the point, only including what's really needed in the core.

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 11:26:00 pm »

Sorry, I just noticed the "Off Topic" forum is no more, so we only have a "Really Off Topic" forum.  I still am not convinced of it's necessity, or if it's needed, that it needs to be a child forum.

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 08:07:17 am »

Good points everyone.

I just felt the forums we had were a little bit of a mess - all I initially wanted to do was tidy up the Feature Request section. It seemed hard to try and keep a grip on what are the key requested features, and which are just the little niceties.

Then I guess I got trigger happy Embarrassed

When it came to the Website Feedback section, I figured it made sense to break it up, one section for forum feedback, one for the website itself, one for Subversion, etc... I already had a Subversion forum anyhow so either that one was bucking the trend, or I needed to do something about it.

As for the Really Off Topic forum there was a logic behind that - everything left in the General Discussion forum seemed to me to be somehow related to CE/EE, e.g. best features, worst features, etc. while in the ROT, it is totally unrelated to CE/EE.

I just figured I was tidying up and making it more logical, and was aware of the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" mentality, but I wanted to juggle it around to get it clearer, at least in my mind, as to what was going on.

If people don't like it, it's not the end of the world and I can always put it back.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
KjeBja
Senior Miner

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 06:42:56 am »

I think reorganising the forum was a good idea. Admittedly, there is no real need for it for the time being, but rather do it now, than sometime in the future when it might be too big a task. There are some forums out there which are almost impossible to navigate in, I can't see that happening to this one!

Keep up the good work!  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: