Emerald Editor Discussion
July 22, 2017, 03:34:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Code Syntax coloration -> Html (color)  (Read 6088 times)
steveosteen
Prospector

« on: June 09, 2006, 07:29:08 pm »

In the editor your files (php, java, actionscript...) are colorized following the color sheme.
Wen you do a "copy and past" for the web you lose the colors.
A simple button in the panel to convert the code in the editor to html would be great.
(This is a feature in context editor)

Smiley
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 07:31:58 pm »

I can see how this would be rather useful, but not necessarily a key feature.

For now I've moved it into the "Wanted" category rather than the "Key" category - I think it could be useful but I don't know how many people will use it...

What do people think?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 12:49:02 am »

It sounds similar to the idea of including a hex editor in EE.  You're basically talking about adding features associated with an HTML editor to EE.  I'd say no on this, or again, this is why you need a plugin system.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 07:51:06 am »

Like so many other possibilities, this is truly what the plugin system will be for.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
thePsychologist
Prospector

Mathematician, psychologist, human.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 03:47:26 am »

In the mean time if anyone is looking for this sort of program try Highlight:

http://www.andre-simon.de/

“Sensation tell us a thing is. Thinking tell us what it is this thing is. Feeling tells us what this thing is to us.” - Carl Jung
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 03:50:15 am »

Sounds like a pretty simple plugin, just write a EE to HTML convert function, add a single menu item and away you go.  Assuming EE isn't using, say, CSS to do the syntax highlighting.
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 03:57:23 pm »

I'm with you guys on keeping the "key features" list short, but lets consider what (I think) steve is saying...

When I copy from CE, where am I going to paste?  Usually I'll be pasting back into CE, in which case I do NOT want it to paste any markup.  HOWEVER... if I happen to be pasting into an email (or MS Word, or OO Writer, or anywhere else other than another editor -- and that's ruled out since after EE is released nobody will be using another editor anyway Grin   ), I always prefer to keep the syntax highlighting.   So... might we achieve both of these goals with the same copy/cut?

For a lot of my Oracle work, I use a commercial editor called TOAD (Tool for Oracle Application Developers).  It does this very thing.  Right now if I'm editing PL/SQL in CE and want to email a block of code, I will paste first into TOAD and then copy it back out so I'll obtain the highlighting.  I'm not sure what format TOAD uses for the copy/cut (perhaps RTF?), but it definitely pastes nicely into emails and other programs.  If you copy from TOAD and paste into a text-only target (like another editor or a plain text email), it pastes only the text (there are no traces of markup from the syntax highlighting).  It works really seamlessly and flawlessly and it's one of those great "little" things that make you enjoy an editor.

Bottom line:  I don't really care whether it is a "key" feature or a plugin--assuming our plugins can *replace* functionality and not just be added as menu items.  In other words, I would like to be able to simply copy from EE and paste highlighted code into an email.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: