Emerald Editor Discussion
May 24, 2017, 10:42:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What I see....Things that need to be decided now...  (Read 6572 times)
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« on: June 02, 2006, 02:34:29 pm »

Greetings all, your non-programming beta tester and vocal person here...

I see a few problems that we, the project team need to iron out immediately before we can even continue.  These questions must be decided, because they will only hinder us if we keep mulling the question around.

1)  Position Choices
Like my previous post, we need to get our position decided.  They will then help get assignments assigned to people, and really help in getting our project under way since they are no longer having to "think of peoples feelings".  They will be in charge of their groups, and thus, can dull out work.

2)  Platforms supported
I know we think we have bounced back and force on this issue.  We need to finalize it.  Is this app going to be developed for just Windows, or will it be developed on Mac and Linux also.  This MUST be decided NOW before we continue.  If we decided not to support other OS's we can pull out the wonderful co-platform code to make the app smaller, faster, ect...

3)  Feature List per version
I think we need to more iron out the feature list we are to put in the app one version release at a time.
Thus meaning we now what we are to work on one at a time.  I would imagine, the Project Manager would be the one to finalize this, and I think we have a great idea on this already.

4)  Features vs Extensions (Plug-ins)
Maybe I see this as more of a problem than others do.  So please have a little patience with me if I am completely WAY of base.  From the conversations we are having, it looks like people are wanting to go with the BASIC Featureset that all text editors have, then have extensions (from the world of Mozilla) or Plug-ins.  These plug-ins have the extra functionality that some may not want...(syntaxes, spell checker, code completion, additional languages etc...)
I think we need to decide this now.  Are we going to use Plujg-ins?  Or will everything be built directly into the app (except possibly excluding syntaxes)  Once again, those more technical than I will have to decide.  I would imagine, once again, the Project Manager needs to iron this out with our Programming Group.

Those are my immediate concerns....

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
Emerald Fox
Global Moderator
Miner

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 03:52:44 pm »

Greetings to Zhrakkan and all,

1)  Position Choices...
Yes I agree with you here. We need group leaders who can carve-up the work and allot tasks to the group members. As I've said before, I'm quite happy to be part of a Beta Test Group.

2)  Platforms supported...
Arantor has made a start on this... I think everyone who genuinely intends to use Emerald Editor should get over to http://forum.emeraldeditor.com/index.php?topic=115.0 and cast their vote PDQ!

3)  Feature List per version...
I've no arguments with this, but just make Windows the first version to be released.  Wink

4)  Features vs Extensions (Plug-ins)...
My feelings on this are to go with plug-ins for every extra feature outside of the basic spec. unless there is a speed issue with plug-ins. In which case maybe - just maybe - some very popular (basic?) features should be included, as long as there is not an adverse affect on the speed/size of the editor.

This might help get things sorted, there's a vote for Project Manager going on over at http://forum.emeraldeditor.com/index.php?topic=116.0.

I think the 'candidates' might like to say why we should vote for them... i.e. Do they actually want the headache of being the Project Manager? What experience can they bring to the job?

No signature currently stored in profile.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 05:32:33 pm »

My thoughts:

1) Position Choices
I think this is A Good Thing.

2) Platforms
Well, I know that a lot of people will look for Windows, but I know that Linux/Mac/etc are important. I just didn't want to pursue routes heavily if only a few people want it. That is not to say we won't pursue them, but patches for, say BSD, will probably be lower priority than for Windows.

3) Features
Why restrict it? I don't see why it should be any different for Mac or Linux as for Windows. I agree, though, the Windows build should be first.

4) Plugins
Very contentious issue. I agree with Emerald Fox on this, have the core as a minimalist editor (probably with syntax highlighting, since that seems to be pretty much an absolute requirement), with a plugin system around it so everything can be bolted on after. (Remember, apps like WinAmp/XMMS function in this way; each input type is a separate plugin, as is each output type)

I also wonder about the whole candidates thing - as the setter of the poll, I just picked on the names that seemed to me to be most prominent in the forum and most sure of how EE should function/evolve.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 06:25:46 pm »

My replies....
1) Position Choices
I think we need to get this ironed out.  Arantor, would it be possible to mail all registered users about this?

2) Platforms
I would imagine obviously Windows would be the highest count of users.  I am all for other platforms being supported.  Let us simply decide, if we are, lets do it, and then have the developers decide on the way to do this, or lets drop the multi-os support and go strictly windows.

3) Features
I am not saying lets restrict features.  I just want us to have a documented feature list for the first few versions.  This way in the building we have a definate goal and not just trying to pack features in without a roadmap.
But like I said previously, I think you guys put together a great roadmap already.  I say lets just set it in stone and get to work.  (I used Crimson Editor for more simple uses than most of you guys since I dont program anything other than php or html)

4) Plugins
My thought on this issue.
The roadmap provides us the list of features for the editor, and then we can have a plugins roadmap to go side by side with the app roadmap.  This way we have our minimalistic features as you have stated.  The features in the app that the MAJORITY of people use, then the plugins, the select users use.  This should help us keep the app fairly small.

Arantor,
This may be preching for help, up to you.  You can always mail the registered users of the board for input as well.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 06:59:24 pm »

Just a few quick things:

1) I'd have to do it manually; the server still(!!) doesn't have mail set up properly. I can do this later on.

2) I agree; most users will be coming from CE. What we have already is compliant with Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris, so let's run with it.

3) Good idea. There is a topic for the roadmap (here) which documents only to 1.0. Once we get the project manager/key developers in place we can formalise the roadmap.

4) Sounds feasible. Again, once the key people are in place we can take a decision on this.

I will try and do something tonight about the whole "key people" thing - I just don't know what right now!

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 07:29:39 pm »

Just a few quick things:

1) I'd have to do it manually; the server still(!!) doesn't have mail set up properly. I can do this later on.

2) I agree; most users will be coming from CE. What we have already is compliant with Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris, so let's run with it.

3) Good idea. There is a topic for the roadmap (here) which documents only to 1.0. Once we get the project manager/key developers in place we can formalise the roadmap.

4) Sounds feasible. Again, once the key people are in place we can take a decision on this.

I will try and do something tonight about the whole "key people" thing - I just don't know what right now!

Oh the pressure!
feel free to get in touch with me should you ever need me.

awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 09:25:12 pm »

1) Position Choices
The sooner orginization is created from chaos, the better.

2) Platforms
This will, of course, depend heavily on who can be attracted as developers, and one of the strongest developers on the project so far (from what I can see) is a Mac OS X developer.  There are ways to do cross-platform development properly, and there are ways to do it wrong, since we are starting nearly from scratch, I think we can do it properly (i.e, not building a Windows app and then porting it, but building from the ground up with cross-platform in mind).  I would have to believe that if we have solid code that builds on Windows/Mac/Linux with no platform native tricks, then any Other/Minor/Upandcoming OS developer who comes along should be able to add support with minimum fuss.

3) Features
In respect to cross-platform matters, if part 2 is done properly, feature parity accross platforms should not be an issue.  Also, which binary release comes first should be more a matter of what builders have time to work on it then anything else (again, assuming part 2 is done properly).

4) Plugins
I like the idea of plug-ins, and (again) I'd like to see it done in as platform independent manor as possible, so if one person builds a plug-in on platform ZZ, all users can use it w/o having to compile native binaries.

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: