Emerald Editor Discussion
April 27, 2017, 01:53:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Toolbar Icons  (Read 13891 times)
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 02:17:42 pm »

I rarely use the toolbar, either, and there's currently an option in EE to disable the toolbar programatically. I'm still sorting out the code base, but this will be a user option at some point.
Szandor
Senior Miner

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 12:25:04 am »

The best way of designing icons is actually to build the smaller ones first and then create larger versions from those. It provides better icons at the smaller sizes. I also think that TIFF is bad and that PNG is the way to go.

As for customization, I think that being able to change icons can be a nice thing for some people, and using a directory of PNG:s would be perfect. A base set should be included in the binary though.

"Cleverly disguised as an original signature..."
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 12:52:16 am »

I think you're right there, as the toolbar will typically be housing 16x16 icons, OS-depending.

It was always my intention to have the base toolbar set built into the binary itself (I always originally figured on the binary having no physical dependencies other than operating system stuff and still loading)

The directory/theme thing does seem to come up every so often, but looking at the comments I have to wonder if actually this is necessary, since most users don't seem to use the toolbar much, and those that do don't seem to worry about the icons.

What does everyone think?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 03:27:04 am »

I think for version 1.0 a standard icon set is fine.  Two things though...

1) We may eventually want to make the icons customizable.  Allowing people to build theme's, while not exactly practical, seems to encourage people to continue using your product even though they're getting bored and want to try something else. Wink  However, this is probably still up for debate.

2) We will likely want to make the Toolbar's user changeable (as in you can add and remove icons to perform various actions).  These actions could be a static set list, or better, in the same way that we plan to allow users to write plugins to perform actions, or add shortcuts to perform actions, we can allow users to add toolbar icons to perform actions.  (Edit: I started a thread on another way of thinking about actions and the scripting system. http://forum.emeraldeditor.com/index.php?topic=238.0)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 03:52:10 am by Feldon » Logged
Szandor
Senior Miner

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 07:17:41 pm »

I hereby propose that se use the Silk icon set for Emerald Editor. They are simple and clean, providing a slick user interface. In time we could create our own or modify the Silk set, but this would give us a good head start.

Edited by Arantor: The forum did something weird with the URL, but it's fixed now.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 08:01:56 pm by Arantor » Logged

"Cleverly disguised as an original signature..."
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: