Emerald Editor Discussion
October 18, 2017, 10:14:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Decision Making  (Read 5898 times)
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« on: June 01, 2006, 12:18:00 am »

Greetings all

Been kinda quiet that last day or two.

This is my opinion on the running of this project.

1)  Project Manager position
I believe we need to have one person, as the Project Manager.
This Project Manager is the end-all be all decider of what is to be done on the project.  Obviously not the one person to do anything, but if the programmer, or other people cannot decide on an issue, the Project Manager would be the one to end the debate.  I think we need to decide once and for all, so that this person gets in the position and sets the ground rules.

2)  Team Leads for each group that exists
Granted now that we really dont have much of a product, this is a small issue, but we do have programmers.  And a programming team, I believe that we should have one person, a Programmer, with ALOT of knowledge in the languages, processes, documentation in the source, etc.  This person is responsible to answering programming questions and the like.  This person is answerable to the Project Manager.

We can have Team leads for Documenation (which the doc team may only have 1 person, so not a problem there...)

I am really trying to get the group organized with hierarchy of sorts so we all know where to go for issues to start with...

Thoughts on all this?

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 12:11:04 pm »

I believe you are correct.  Formal recognition of these roles will help move this project forward.  There's only so long it can be sustained by good will and voluntary co-operation, better to define and fill 'command' positions early to set precedents for the future.

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 05:44:29 pm »

I agree.

I personally think daemon and alpha are the best candidates for team leads for programming - they both have the knowledge and skills.

Project Manager? That's a tough one, really. I have kind of been doing that, but I've found myself feeling like I'm dictating things rather than making rational decisions and balancing the project.

If anyone else wants the job, I'm happy to stand aside - and also to discuss access to the server for maintenance/updates etc. I am also happy to stick with maintaining the website/server/services for EE.

Once we have the nominations/votes/people - whatever - I think we need to draft a policy or something to set down "ground rules" almost for the project.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 02:49:16 pm »

I vote Arantor.  I don't think you've been dictating at all.  All the important issues, the ones that effect the program long-term, such as syntax file formats and the other "key development issues", have all been opened up to discussion.  Its your job as project manager to make the final decision.  Plus, you seem to be fully aware of the goals of the project and seem to be sticking by them.  So all in all, I'd say you're doing a great job.
alpha
Developers
Senior Miner

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 04:21:37 pm »

my nominations are:

Arantor for Project Manager, so far you did a great job and why change something if it is not broken.

Unfortunately I don't have so much time on my hand to be a full time team leader, but thank you for your nomination Arantor. I think daemon would be a good team leader, so my nomination goes to him. However if daemon can not take the job I'm open for part time solution...

Markus Schulz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: