Emerald Editor Discussion
July 21, 2017, 09:45:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The CE Source Code - The Holy Grail  (Read 21607 times)
mytreo
Miner

« on: May 27, 2006, 03:29:39 pm »

I think this needs covering again, maybe I missed it, but reinventing the wheel is pointless and CE is great (i mean GREAT!), just needs updating and someone to actively develop it.

Surely this should be where initial efforts are focused - on tracking down the original CE source code?

I have seen all the rumours, but has anyone actually found definatively whether it does or does not still exist anywhere? Is the author dead? The thread at emerald editor stunk of bullshit to me.

It would save a load of work, and IMO give the project a much higher chance to succeed. Writing this from scratch is going to be a LOT of work and projects with much bigger resources than this have failed miserably.

Thoughts?
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 03:53:20 pm »

OK, the story goes something like this.

September 2004: Last known release of Crimson Editor

January 2005: Last known posting/edit of the CE forums by Mr. Kang

January 2006: Rumours circulate of Mr. Kang's demise on CE forums. Email address of poster is fake, no mention anywhere else that this has happened.

3 April 2006: I wrote to Mr. Kang at the main published address on his website. No reply received.

8 April 2006: I wrote to Mr. Kang at a second, less public address. No reply received.

13 April 2006: I am contacted by another fan of Crimson Editor who has tried to call the number listed on the DNS records of crimsoneditor.com, and was advised that the number is discontinued. That day I posted a letter to the address given in the DNS records by air mail. No reply has been received.

22 April 2006: Emerald Editor was suggested on the forums of Crimson Editor. Although the message was aimed at the community, I admit that privately I had hoped that the announcement would draw Mr. Kang out of hiding - if only to comment.

24 April 2006: I received an email from another source, forwarding on an email supposedly from Mr. Kang. Looking at it, I posted my comments in the forum at the time this all happened, which was shortly after the thread bump which brought notice of Mr. Kang's demise to the forum. I provided my thoughts that it seemed a bit unlikely to be genuine, but still there has been no notice or word from Mr. Kang so it is entirely possible that it is true.

I had thought little more about obtaining the CE source since then, as the email I had received suggested that they would contact Mr. Kang again and try to discuss with him, however I have heard nothing since then so perhaps that too was a hoax (I tend to believe things are true until proved otherwise)

I have written one last email to see if I get any response, but no guarantees...

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
ce2000
Miner

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 03:04:59 am »

yeh that would rock if u could contact him and get a response

it'd be a miracle if he made the code open source.

I dont think ive seen such a following for an small application like this before, surely he knows he is a hero to us, or maybe he doesnt. Seems a lot of people have tried to get a hold of him one way or another. I think i remember him saying something he was expecting a child soon or something once? maybe i am not remembering right, who knows maybe he hasnt had time or just gave up or the hard drive is dead with the data.

Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 04:03:13 pm »

The above history is quite the soap opera.  I'm imagining the black cat with emerald eyes pulling off his rubber mask to reveal his true identity--the puppy dog mascot of Crimson Editor. 

Wouldn't that be cool.  Smiley
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 05:30:09 pm »

Nah, in real soap opera style, the cute cat will actually turn out to be the puppy dog's long-lost half-brother-by-a-dodgy-affair-by-a-fifteenth-cousin-thirty-times-removed-on-one-of-the-sides and cause all sorts of funny storylines that are so banal, even the actors have to admit they're unreal.

Or something Wink

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 05:19:53 pm »

OK, something else has arisen.

It seems that CE's domain name has been extended until 2009, so either it was done automatically, or someone has deliberately extended it. Given that it wasn't due to expire for another 2 months, it seems unlikely that it would be automatic.

Perhaps Mr. Kang is alive and well after all? I still haven't heard anything myself.

Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 10:24:29 pm »

This was posted a while back:

http://www.cmpr.co.kr/asset/about-people.htm

Did anybody try using the "Contact Us" link?
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 11:01:03 pm »

I didn't at the time, I figured that it hadn't been updated since 2004, Mr. Kang may well have moved on.

Ah, what the hey, let's send them an email anyway. They might be able to forward on my email, or even be able to reach him directly...

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 11:06:42 pm »

A post has been made on Crimson Editor's forums that seems to suggest that Mr Kang (CE's author) is in fact alive and well and now working with a new company.

I have posted on behalf of EE to the forum to its author to request that he passes on my email address to Mr Kang to see if he can get in touch with us (he may provide me with Mr Kang's email address, but we will see)

I have also sent a message to the website of the company Mr Kang seems to work for on behalf of EE to hope for further information.

It seems that Mr Kang was planning to open-source Crimson eventually anyway, but we will need to rewrite it if we are to cross-platform it (judging by notes and various comments, it seems that it was written in Delphi or possible Visual C++ - if the former, it will need a rewrite, if the latter it could probably be patched depending on how insidious the Microsoft-specific stuff is...)

Either way, this is looking good if we hope to obtain the source!

John Yeung
Senior Miner

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 05:01:20 am »

It's absolutely C++.  A lot of people keep posting that it's in Delphi but Mr. Kang has always said very clearly it's C++.  I think people are confusing it with PSPad, which seems to be Crimson's primary competitor.  PSPad is written in Delphi, using the SynEdit component.

I do not think Crimson uses any third-party component, and I do suspect it would be significant work to cross-platformize it.  Whether that would be more work than writing a new Crimson-like editor built around Scintilla, I don't know.  I also suspect it would be easier to fix some of Crimson's problems by using Scintilla rather than reworking the existing Crimson code.

John
roklein
Prospector

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 05:13:01 pm »

Just found this in my inbox:

Sender: crimson_editor_users@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Crimson Editor] Crimson Editor Source Code...

Hi, I am the author of Crimson Editor.

Recently, I knew that I could not afford to make time to support
Crimson Editor. So, I decided to make Crimson Editor as open source
project. You can download the source code of Crimson Editor at Crimson
Editor Homepage now. Thank you.

Regards,
Ingyu Kang
chali
Prospector

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 07:32:38 pm »

I've checked de CE site and yes, the source code is available to download Cheesy
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 09:54:21 pm »

Well this is certainly great news! We'll have to get to work and have a look at what we can use, and if we want to alter any of the design decisions that were taken with CE to improve functionality/add additional functionality etc.

John

John

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on"
Derek Parnell
Lead Architect
Miner

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 11:28:38 pm »

Well this is certainly great news!
WOW! This changes things now. I suspect there is no need for an Emerald project any longer, except maybe to co-ordinate updates to CE. I also suspect that there will be quite a few 'new' editors hitting the street real soon -  many strangely familiar ;-)

--
Derek Parnell
"Down with Mediocrity!"
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 11:33:21 pm »

WOW! This changes things now. I suspect there is no need for an Emerald project any longer, except maybe to co-ordinate updates to CE. I also suspect that there will be quite a few 'new' editors hitting the street real soon -  many strangely familiar ;-)

I wouldn't write us off quite yet Wink. After all we have slightly different aims to what CE achieves, and while CE is certainly a very very good Text Editor it can certainly be improved upon!

John

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on"
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: